1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics classes for MHD/Plasma Physics(maybe Fusion)

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1

Leb

Hello all,

I am wondering if I could get some advice from people who have done MHD/Plasma Physics (or even better, went to do something like 'MSc in Fusion Energy' which is offered by York University). Ideally I would like to work somewhere with fusion energy (although it is vastly dominated by engineers...)

I am a third year undergraduate doing a joint degree in Physics and Mathematics. The courses from Mathematics I can choose(Physics courses are compulsory) to do are:
    Topology and Metric Spaces(SM1) 2cr
    Analysis and Differentiation (pre-requisite for Complex analysis) 1cr
    Mathematical Methods(basically DE's)(SM1) 2cr
    Algebra(SM2) 2cr
    Some Dynamics courses (SM2)3cr
    Some 'Project skill course' 1cr

The problem is, due to credit restrictions, I am only allowed to take a certain amount of courses.
    I need to have 6cr in total. Now, I would love to take Topology and Metric Spaces course, but I would have to drop the two analysis courses (I am not sure to what extent I would use Complex Analysis taught by a Maths department, although I was told that I would need a good amount of Complex Analysis in any branch of physics to do with particles).

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted