Mathematics Course Outline for Pursuing a Career in a Third World Country

In summary, if your brother wants to study mathematics later in his career, he should look into the courses that are offered at the math department at any school he wants to attend.
debeng
i am from a thirld world country, and my brother has just finished his high scholl who wants to study mathematics later. can any of you outline a general course that he takes for his later career. i am not a student of physics, i am just a student of medicine so i don't know much about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, mathematicians can generally take up many jobs that require problem solving and maths skills. He doesn't necessarily have to work in Physics, but many mathematicians at the moment are working on particle physics research.

michealsmith said:
if he does want to do physics tell him to look at ...
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/theorist.html

That's nasty! It seems to imply that if one wants to be a physicists, one will probably end up as a theorist. That is so wrong if you simply look at (i) the AIP statistics, for example and (ii) the employability.

I will also counter that with the infamous Harry Lipkin article once more.

http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-53/iss-7/p15.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
i didnt say anything about theoretical physics ...but mathematics was menotioned and an experimentalist doesn't need to know the type of maths a theroist does ...if uve covered a theorists maths uve almost covered all the maths ...

no matter what, he needs to study calculus, as much as possible, including advanced calculus, and linear algebra.

and try to ignore these people fussing over which branch of what he should go into.

ok i get them all. he has decided he is going UK. its totally not fair that he is losing another 6 months or perhaps a year just to prepare for the IELTS.

thats great advice but its an old problme,as old as a verylitle hill.
if he promised himself to go to uk, let me alone
a mathcourse is is outlined in math department of any school he wants to go to, u search for him to show ur good more completely, u still only help half by asking physicforum.

1. What topics are typically covered in a mathematics course?

A mathematics course typically covers topics such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, statistics, and discrete mathematics.

2. What are the prerequisites for taking a mathematics course?

The prerequisites for a mathematics course may vary depending on the level of the course, but typically students should have a strong understanding of basic mathematical concepts such as arithmetic, fractions, and decimals.

3. How is a mathematics course structured?

A mathematics course is typically structured with a combination of lectures, problem-solving sessions, and assignments. The course may also include exams, quizzes, and projects to assess students' understanding of the material.

4. What skills can I expect to gain from taking a mathematics course?

Taking a mathematics course can help improve critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It can also provide a strong foundation for future studies and careers in fields such as engineering, finance, and data analysis.

5. Are there any resources available to help with understanding the material in a mathematics course?

Many mathematics courses offer resources such as textbooks, online lectures, practice problems, and office hours with the instructor. There may also be tutoring services or study groups available to help students better understand the material and succeed in the course.