1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics degree

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    Well Ive taken calculus 1-3 all up to differential equations and its been quite easy. Though I forgot most of the stuff already. Im going to be taking upper division math but I feel that my math background is still very weak because all I ever did was computations.I never understood why It works. I mean I tried to prove it but I never got it. I know that I have gaps. Anyone recommend any books or what should I do to close these gaps?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2
    maybe try and do the proofs and when you get stuck talk to your professor

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3
    yeah I tried. Im thinking of using a book called Bridge to Abstract Mathematics by Morash as a guide for self study but idk if im on the right track.

5. Feb 21, 2012 #4
    I like An Introduction To Mathematical Reasoning by Peter Eccles.

6. Feb 22, 2012 #5
    Looks like the right track to me. I think I might even seen this book before...from what I remember it had sections on how to write formal proofs by proving basic concepts a student having only encountered calculus might recognize.

7. Feb 22, 2012 #6
    I recommend "Reading, Writing, and Proving" by Daepp and Gorkin, and "A Transition to Advanced Mathematics" by Smith, Eggen, and St. Andre. Though not as general, "Set Theory and Metric Spaces" by Irving Kaplansky is a beautiful little book that was my first exposure to abstract mathematics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook