Mathematics for CS graduate programs

In summary, it is important to consider the requirements of the specific graduate program you are interested in and the type of research you want to do when deciding how many math courses to take. Some programs may have more rigorous math requirements, while others may not require as many courses. It is best to research and contact the department to determine the appropriate number of math courses for your specific goals.
kinof
Hi guys. I'm a freshman computer science major just finishing up discrete math and calculus I. I am strongly considering graduate school as an option, which I am sure is quite a bit more math-intensive than undergrad is (which obviously doesn't stress theory as much). Right now, my is to take calc II and III, linear algebra, ODEs, discrete math II, real analysis, some sort of computational math course, and maybe PDEs or a higher-level course like abstract algebra. What is an appropriate number of math courses to have for, say a top 20 CS graduate program? The actual math requirements for the computer science major at my school are fairly meager, so deciding to take all these extra math courses would obviously be a pretty big commitment (hopefully I won't have to stay here for more than four years). Is this more than I need? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on the graduate program and the type of research you want to do. Generally speaking, most top-tier computer science graduate programs would expect you to have taken Calc II and III, linear algebra, ODEs, discrete math II, real analysis, computational math, and maybe PDEs. However, it is possible that some programs might require additional courses or more advanced courses in certain areas. It really depends on the program and the research you want to do. If you are unsure what courses are necessary for a particular program, it might be best to contact the department directly and ask about their specific math requirements.

1. What level of math is expected for CS graduate programs?

CS graduate programs typically expect students to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and discrete mathematics. Some programs may also require knowledge of statistics and differential equations.

2. Is it necessary to have a math background for CS graduate programs?

While having a math background is not always a requirement for CS graduate programs, it is highly recommended. Many CS concepts and algorithms are based on mathematical principles, and having a strong foundation in math can greatly benefit students in their coursework and research.

3. What are the main mathematical concepts that are used in CS?

The main mathematical concepts used in CS include set theory, logic, graph theory, algorithms and complexity, probability and statistics, and discrete mathematics. These concepts are used to solve problems and analyze data in various fields of computer science, such as artificial intelligence, cryptography, and data science.

4. How can I improve my math skills for CS graduate programs?

To improve math skills for CS graduate programs, students can practice solving problems and proofs, take additional math courses, and seek help from tutors or professors. It is also important to have a strong understanding of foundational math concepts before diving into more advanced topics.

5. Are there any online resources for learning math for CS graduate programs?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning math for CS graduate programs. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer free courses and tutorials on various math topics, including those used in computer science.