Mathematics for Physics in Zurich 16/17

Hello Board!

By eluding most math class' and homework as a youngster
I have deprived myself effectively of a tool on which I am dependent nowadays.
My love for mathematics if ever existent was ephemeral, unpredictable in its manifestation.
I would either almost fail the class or would have finished the entire math book before we even had reached 3/4 of the school year.

Today, seven years later at the age of 25 I have set my mind to study physics in the upcoming winter semester 16/17 in Zurich
and I need to prepare, no relearn and refurbish my understanding of the required mathematics.

Having been an ignorant for such a long time I would like to ask you people,
who have already cultivated a joy and deep understanding of the subjects, to help me manoeuvre through this.
This will be hopefully a guide for many years to come.

What math and in which order should I learn the material to truly comprehend physics?

All I can give you in return is my sincerest effort and deep felt gratitude.

Cheers,
Aki

PS: Yes, I might have an awkward English it is my second language with German being my first but I do understand it quite well so please don't hesitate.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Hello Board!

By eluding most math class' and homework as a youngster
I have deprived myself effectively of a tool on which I am dependent nowadays.
My love for mathematics if ever existent was ephemeral, unpredictable in its manifestation.
I would either almost fail the class or would have finished the entire math book before we even had reached 3/4 of the school year.

Today, seven years later at the age of 25 I have set my mind to study physics in the upcoming winter semester 16/17 in Zurich
and I need to prepare, no relearn and refurbish my understanding of the required mathematics.

Having been an ignorant for such a long time I would like to ask you people,
who have already cultivated a joy and deep understanding of the subjects, to help me manoeuvre through this.
This will be hopefully a guide for many years to come.

What math and in which order should I learn the material to truly comprehend physics?

All I can give you in return is my sincerest effort and deep felt gratitude.

Cheers,
Aki

PS: Yes, I might have an awkward English it is my second language with German being my first but I do understand it quite well so please don't hesitate.

I am also studying in Zurich, 3rd year of physics. I didn't get if you wanna study in your spare time or at a university. In your spare time, you should do:

-Analysis
-Linear Algebra
-Mathematical methods for physics

This is the absolute minimum to learn physics afterwards (assuming you can handle probability intuitively).
Just look up books on these subjects, I'm afraid I can't help you on which though because I didn't use books in my undergraduate courses. Mathematical methods should have one called "Courant Hilbert" which is good (but very long and you won't need everything).

Now for a piece of life advice: I also started studying physics late. I was an excellent economics student, now I'm an average physics student. If I could go back, I would. The world of physics has been full of anti-social people, uninterested in whether you're understanding the subject, overly difficult exams made to fail a percentage of the class and arrogance for me. In my opinion, nothing good can flourish in such an environment. I also thought I had a passion, I also thought mathematics was "cool" and required nowadays. I was wrong.

Likes Aki's Notes
I am also studying in Zurich, 3rd year of physics. I didn't get if you wanna study in your spare time or at a university. In your spare time, you should do:

-Analysis
-Linear Algebra
-Mathematical methods for physics

This is the absolute minimum to learn physics afterwards (assuming you can handle probability intuitively).
Just look up books on these subjects, I'm afraid I can't help you on which though because I didn't use books in my undergraduate courses. Mathematical methods should have one called "Courant Hilbert" which is good (but very long and you won't need everything).

Now for a piece of life advice: I also started studying physics late. I was an excellent economics student, now I'm an average physics student. If I could go back, I would. The world of physics has been full of anti-social people, uninterested in whether you're understanding the subject, overly difficult exams made to fail a percentage of the class and arrogance for me. In my opinion, nothing good can flourish in such an environment. I also thought I had a passion, I also thought mathematics was "cool" and required nowadays. I was wrong.

Thank you for your answer realnoob!
I have heard similar stories from friends while I was in Vienna,
it seems that the subject of Physics tends to accumulate people with specific traits.
To clarify any misunderstandings, I want to study in Zurich at the ETH
but would prepare myself in private, secluded from any course.

Your last sentence intrigues me the most:
I also thought I had a passion, I also thought mathematics was "cool" and required nowadays.
I was wrong.

Would you be willing to elaborate on that any further?
My main motivation for learning physics is to become an entrepreneur in a more technical field
and be able to understand what the specifics of the given undertakings are.
I have a feeling that this is going to be quite educational, if I may say so.

Last edited: