1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics for QFT

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to find out (searching did not return anything useful) what kind of mathematical background one needs to understand QFT comfortably (if such state can ever be attained :D). By comfortably I mean being able to concentrate almost entirely on the physics part rather than pick up math at the same time. Specifically, I mean not only the bare prerequisites to understand the material, but also, the mathematical topics which might be a bit off the main track but prove useful nonetheless.

To provide an example, after taking a first semester undergraduate quantum, I think that a solid preparation for QM would involve Linear algebra, Fourier analysis, and ODE. I am looking for similar ideas regarding QFT.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2
    Hm, I don't know enough about QFT to help, but I think your specification "Specifically, I mean not only the bare prerequisites to understand the material, but also, the mathematical topics which might be a bit off the main track but prove useful nonetheless." is going to be too strict for your liking, since when I apply it to the case of quantum mechanics, I would definitely include group theory, Hilbert spaces, and quite likely some functional analysis (and maybe even some other things that I'm forgetting atm).

4. Jun 26, 2012 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So some things to do

-Basic relativity/tensor analysis: Be able to understand and manipulate expressions written in Einstein summation notation, be able to write down Maxwell's equations covariantly

-Fourier analysis

-You be familiar with classical field theory (i.e., going from the Lagrangian/Hamiltonian to the equations of motion, and knowing Noether's theorem)

-Complex analysis - you might run into the occasional integral that must be evaluated with techniques from complex analysis

-Some group theory might be helpful - You'll probably run into terms like "Representation of the Lorentz group"

That's all I can think of right now

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4
    Very good :) Could you tell me what is a typical background for group theory? I hear it come up on this forum quite often.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook