Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics forums

1. Mar 31, 2008 #1
    Is there a mathematics analog of PF? I am a member of http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/ but the purpose of that forum is a bit different. I have been a member of several other mathematics forums in the past and none of them seemed close to the high quality of PF (for example, the homework helpers were always grumpy and sometimes insulting when I missed something obvious).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'd say PF was a maths forum and a physics forum-- after all, we have a lot of competent mathematicians here, as well as physicists.

4. Mar 31, 2008 #3
    Yeah, there are plenty of math sub-forums here just for mathematicians, and also engineering and programming. The name "Physics forums" is kind of misleading, but then again, it is geared towards physics, so that's about as appropriate a name as you will get.

5. Mar 31, 2008 #4
    Physics is mostly maths anyway, so good mathematicians come with the territory.

6. Mar 31, 2008 #5
    Physics is still different than math. I haven't had to learn or do a formal proof in my life, and I'm almost ready to graduate.

7. Mar 31, 2008 #6
    I once got into trouble for saying what's the point of learning proofs, if you're not really going to use them in the degree. :smile:

Yeah I don't mean to say physics isn't different, it's just I think most people in physics are pretty competent mathematicians anyway if not maths gurus, and well like attracts like.

8. Mar 31, 2008 #7
    You could try the xkcd sub forum for math.

9. Mar 31, 2008 #8
    What?

10. Mar 31, 2008 #9
  11. Apr 1, 2008 #10

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Speaking of the math subforums, does anyone know what happened to Matt Grime?

12. Apr 1, 2008 #11

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And so begins another one of THESE conversations...:rolleyes:

13. Apr 1, 2008 #12
    Not really. As far as I can tell, we're done. He made a compromise and I agree to it.

14. Apr 1, 2008 #13

dst

Maths is as much of a tool to physics as breathing is to staying alive...

What about PlanetMath?

15. Apr 2, 2008 #14
    No we're not, I didn't compromise I just further elucidated. :wink:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?