Math Forum: Is There an Analog to PF?

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the conversation discusses the similarity between Physics Forums and other mathematics forums, and how Physics Forums also caters to mathematicians. The discussion also touches on the difference between physics and math, and the usefulness of learning proofs in physics. The mention of other math-related websites and forums is also brought up.
ehrenfest
Is there a mathematics analog of PF? I am a member of http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/ but the purpose of that forum is a bit different. I have been a member of several other mathematics forums in the past and none of them seemed close to the high quality of PF (for example, the homework helpers were always grumpy and sometimes insulting when I missed something obvious).

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say PF was a maths forum and a physics forum-- after all, we have a lot of competent mathematicians here, as well as physicists.

Yeah, there are plenty of math sub-forums here just for mathematicians, and also engineering and programming. The name "Physics forums" is kind of misleading, but then again, it is geared towards physics, so that's about as appropriate a name as you will get.

Physics is mostly maths anyway, so good mathematicians come with the territory.

Physics is still different than math. I haven't had to learn or do a formal proof in my life, and I'm almost ready to graduate.

Poop-Loops said:
Physics is still different than math. I haven't had to learn or do a formal proof in my life, and I'm almost ready to graduate.

I once got into trouble for saying what's the point of learning proofs, if you're not really going to use them in the degree. :smile:

Yeah I don't mean to say physics isn't different, it's just I think most people in physics are pretty competent mathematicians anyway if not maths gurus, and well like attracts like.

You could try the xkcd sub forum for math.

awvvu said:
You could try the xkcd sub forum for math.

What?

Speaking of the math subforums, does anyone know what happened to Matt Grime?

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Physics is mostly maths anyway, so good mathematicians come with the territory.

Poop-Loops said:

And so begins another one of THESE conversations...:rolleyes:

Not really. As far as I can tell, we're done. He made a compromise and I agree to it.

Maths is as much of a tool to physics as breathing is to staying alive...

What about PlanetMath?

Poop-Loops said:
Not really. As far as I can tell, we're done. He made a compromise and I agree to it.

No we're not, I didn't compromise I just further elucidated. :wink:smile:

1. What is the purpose of the Math Forum?

The Math Forum is a platform that allows mathematicians and scientists to discuss and share their knowledge and ideas related to math and its applications.

2. What is PF in the context of the Math Forum?

PF stands for "Proof Forum" and it is a section of the Math Forum dedicated to discussions and presentations of mathematical proofs.

3. Is there an analog to PF in the Math Forum?

Yes, the analog to PF in the Math Forum is the "Problem-Solving Forum" (PSF), which is a section where members can discuss and solve challenging math problems.

4. How can I participate in the Math Forum discussions?

To participate in the Math Forum discussions, you can create an account on the forum's website and start engaging with other members by posting your thoughts, questions, and responses.

5. Are there any guidelines or rules for participating in the Math Forum?

Yes, the Math Forum has a set of guidelines that all members are expected to follow, such as being respectful and constructive in their discussions, avoiding spam or irrelevant content, and properly citing sources when necessary.