What Are the Best Alternatives to Cambridge for Studying Mathematics?

In summary, if Cambridge don't accept me, Oxford or Bristol would be second or third best for mathematics at undergraduate level. If you're looking for a non-biased objective, universities like Oxford and Bristol have league tables, but if you're looking for what you want from your degree, then it matters more that you enjoy your time at university.
well when i read that i felt like a complete moron, but actually most teachers do not teach this. and when i try to teach it now some students resist and act like I am crazy.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathwonk said:
well when i read that i felt like a complete moron, but actually most teachers do not teach this. and when i try to teach it now some students resist and act like I am crazy.

Haha, I know what you mean.

It's like, why would you even ponder about this non-sense? The book doesn't even talk about it!

This thread seems to have derailed from the OP's original question.

imo, the advice he needs should follow mine, cristo and leon's posts.

well we seem to disagree. i understood you to be advising his going to a school with a good reputation, but some of us are suggesting it matters more that he learn from some good sources and learn to do his own thinking, no matter where he goes.

mathwonk said:
well we seem to disagree. i understood you to be advising his going to a school with a good reputation, but some of us are suggesting it matters more that he learn from some good sources and learn to do his own thinking, no matter where he goes.
...but I think the UK vs. US thing is valid.

In the UK, like cristo pointed out, people do look to what uni you went to -- it's maybe not right, but it does happen.

I don't disagree with your points, mathwonk, but that's more personal opinion instead of the advice, I thought, the OP was after.

well you are right of course that people do look at the rep of your uni, and they also do this in the US, but I still believe in taking the more idealistic view, as eventually it will matter.

This is not so much a UK/US thing as a cynic/idealist thing. The cynical view is frequently right in the short run, but in the long run, not always. Of course I have been frustrated many times by taking the long view, and seeing recognition go to the wrong people in some cases, but you never feel inferior to someone with a name education who does not know what he is talking about.

mathwonk said:
well you are right of course that people do look at the rep of your uni, and they also do this in the US, but I still believe in taking the more idealistic view, as eventually it will matter.

This is not so much a UK/US thing as a cynic/idealist thing. The cynical view is frequently right in the short run, but in the long run, not always. Of course I have been frustrated many times by taking the long view, and seeing recognition go to the wrong people in some cases, but you never feel inferior to someone with a name education who does not know what he is talking about.
...but if you had the chance you would go to a uni with a name, right?

I recall you did some time, off your own back, at Harvard -- did the name not attract you to go there even slightly, even though you probably looked there for the people also?

Actually I was planning to go to Vanderbilt but my high school teacher advised me to go somewhere famous so i s'aid ok if you get me in Ill go. So she called them up and I got a phone call from Harvard inviting me to apply, sometime after the deadline. Without applying i got accepted over the phone. They sent the application later. I did not even know what town it was in when i was accepted.