Mathematics limited by Physics?

In summary: Abstract:Einstein's Geometry: Geometry limited by the rules of our universe (but in fact, Geometry is only limited by our universe), but as Einstein thought, it isn't the whole Geometry branch, it's only the Geometry limited by our universe. In this concept, a speed of 300000001 (+1) m/s does not exits. So, does this branch have a name?
It seem this thread is bordering on philosophy and therefore imperiled. But let me add my opinion

From the OP
Gjmdp said:
So, does this branch have a name?

No. why should it. Any subset of a discipline must still satisfy the tenets of that discipline. Mathematics is not bound by physical constraints.

Gjmdp said:
May Physics be as limited as Mathematics? Is that a possibility?

Physics as tediously discussed heretofore is not a branch of mathematics. Insofar as physics uses mathematics as a tool it will be limited in its goals of establishing how our universe works if Physics does not have the right tool for the project at hand it will be handicapped. Physics is limited by constraints beyond our control. Mathematics is limited by our imagination.

Gjmdp said:
Maybe (I don't know), the speed of light has to be limited Mathematically.

Mathematics is a system of logic, rules and objects that pertain to them. Light is generated by physical processes and in condensed matter propagated by physical interactions. At this time its propagation in a vacuum is a subject of investigation Mathematics will play a role in the eventual explanation but will not be the cause of it just as it is not the cause of any physical phenomenon unless you think it causes 1 +1 to equal 2.

If mathematics has bounds it is only in our ability to express the concepts.

For a good read on the interaction math and physics read "Mathematics Queen and Servant of Science" by Eric Temple Bell.

Likes BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
gleem said:
It seem this thread is bordering on philosophy and therefore imperiled. But let me add my opinion

From the OPNo. why should it. Any subset of a discipline must still satisfy the tenets of that discipline. Mathematics is not bound by physical constraints.
Physics as tediously discussed heretofore is not a branch of mathematics. Insofar as physics uses mathematics as a tool it will be limited in its goals of establishing how our universe works if Physics does not have the right tool for the project at hand it will be handicapped. Physics is limited by constraints beyond our control. Mathematics is limited by our imagination.
Mathematics is a system of logic, rules and objects that pertain to them. Light is generated by physical processes and in condensed matter propagated by physical interactions. At this time its propagation in a vacuum is a subject of investigation Mathematics will play a role in the eventual explanation but will not be the cause of it just as it is not the cause of any physical phenomenon unless you think it causes 1 +1 to equal 2.

If mathematics has bounds it is only in our ability to express the concepts.

For a good read on the interaction math and physics read "Mathematics Queen and Servant of Science" by Eric Temple Bell.
The intention of this thread is to know more about the nature of Physics, Mathematics and the difference of its limits. Well, when I said if Mathematics would be equal limited as Physics I was saying if it was also limited by the universe, like Chemistry.
Of course I know Mathematics is limited by our imagination: Well wait, only by our imagination? Let's look that again:

We can imagine 1+1=3 but that isn't true! Mathematics it's limited by our imagination and by Logic!
We can imagine as far as we can but always with logic (and not always we imagine with logic), because without it, Mathematics wouldn't have sense.

Then, the limits of logic are now the limits of Mathematics: Is logic limited by the universe? Because then Mathematics will be limited by the universe, as Physics!
So that's the question.

The thread is a philosophical discussion rather than a scientific one. It will remain closed.

Last edited:
Likes davenn