Mathematics of refraction of light

In summary, The conversation is about proving the equation d1/d2=refractive index, using trigonometry and Snell's law. The participants discuss using cos() and tan() to represent the physical situation, and how changing the variables affects the ratio. The person seeking help is struggling to find the solution mathematically, but has verified it experimentally.
anantchowdhary
Can anyone please prove that if d1=EF and if d2=EG

and angle MEZ=HEF=angle of incidence

and angle HEG = angle of refraction.

Please! can somebody help me prove that d1/d2=refractive index

taking sin i/sin r=refractive index

(The glass slab is ABCD and is kept in vacuum)

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
As you know, you must show your own work in order for us to help you. This seems pretty straightforward using Snell's law and a little trig. Please set up the equations, and we'll see if you are on the right track.

Hey I am sorry but with trig I am getting some equations but i don't think I am on the correct path:

d1=sin i{HF} ...(i)
d2=sin r{HG} ...(ii)

(i) / (ii)

d1/d2=sini.(HG+GF)/sinr(HG)
therefore

d1/d2=mu .(HG+GF)/(HG)

I get stuck after this.Help will be appreciated

I only looked at it briefly, but I'd start with using cos() since EH is the same for both. I'll try to stop by again later if I can and spend more time looking at it.

EDIT: fixed my typo EF-->EH

after cos how do ii convert it in terms of sin?

Okay, I'm at home now, and back online for a bit. If you haven't figured it out yet, here are a couple hints.

Since cos() is more useful for describing the physical situation, but Snell's Law is usually written with sin(), then the logical thing to try using would be the combination tan(), right? So start with these:

[tex]tan(\theta_i) = \frac{sin\theta_i}{cos\theta_i} = \frac{FH}{EH}[/tex]

[tex]tan(\theta_r) = \frac{sin\theta_r}{cos\theta_r} = \frac{GH}{EH}[/tex]

Try using that to see if that gets you to the solution. BTW, when you look at the drawing of the refracted ray, you see how raising the n will pull in the [tex]\theta_r[/tex] and shorten d2? Visualizing what happens as you change a variable in a problem can help you gain the intuition to help you solve problems. In this case, the relationship direction is intuitive, but it takes doing the math to show that the ratio is just the d1/d2 ratio.

Hey I am grateful to you for the help provided.But I am sorry i just don't seem to get the desired result.Also,

Experimentally i have verified that d1/d2=mu

But I am sorry I am not able to do it mathematically

1. What is refraction of light?

Refraction of light is the bending or changing of direction of light as it passes through a medium with a different density, such as air and water.

2. What is the mathematical equation for refraction of light?

The mathematical equation for refraction of light is known as Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two mediums.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect refraction?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which light enters a medium. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases, causing the light to bend more.

4. What is the critical angle in refraction?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which light is refracted at an angle of 90 degrees, resulting in total internal reflection. This occurs when the light travels from a more dense medium to a less dense medium.

5. What are some real-life applications of the mathematics of refraction of light?

The mathematics of refraction of light is used in various fields such as optics, astronomy, and photography. It is also crucial in the design of lenses and other optical instruments, as well as in understanding the behavior of light in different mediums.