1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics of string theory?

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    How is this field looking?

What topics does it have?

Who are the experts in this field?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2
    Barton Zwiebach at MIT

I am just learning the basics, but from what I can tell ST is thriving and it remains the best solution to the GR-QM inconsistencies.

Check out Zwiebach's A First Course in String Theory if you want the details.

4. Oct 23, 2007 #3
    I assume the mathematics of string theory is different to string theory?

For one thing they are done be different communities of people so there's got to be some difference?

5. Oct 23, 2007 #4
    I assume the mathematics of string theory is different to string theory?

For one thing they are done by different communities of people so there's got to be some difference?

6. Oct 23, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I've never heard this, but then I don't know what you mean by the mathematics of string theory. I'd be very suprised if a string theorist did not use the "mathematics of string theory" though.

7. Oct 23, 2007 #6
    Algebraic geometry, mirror symmetry, Calabi-Yau manifolds, generalized geometry, BRST, super-"mathematics" - i.e. mathematics with the anticommutative property

Experts, tons of them. In the math field: Sergei Gukov, Edward Witten (cmon you gotta count him), Ron Donagi, David Morrison, etc, etc.

8. Oct 23, 2007 #7
    Pursuing string theory only as a maths theory.

If that dosen't make sense then it would be doing maths that was motivated by string theory.

9. Oct 23, 2007 #8
    Would Ed Witten be in the physics field?

10. Oct 23, 2007 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But most people working in quantum gravity are mathematicians. It, again, comes down to where you draw this line between theoretical physics and maths-- I don't think one needs to draw the line.

11. Oct 24, 2007 #10
    I think there is a difference between mathematical physics and theoretical physics. Witten is for sure not theoretical physicist, if anything, he is a mathematical physicist.

12. Oct 24, 2007 #11
    Ed Witten does physics. Ed Witten does theory. Thus, he's a theorist.
    All physicists use math.

13. Oct 24, 2007 #12
    I could be wrong here, but I don't think there are any string theory experimentalists. They're all pretty much theoreticians.

14. Oct 24, 2007 #13
    He is a very special case; can you name any physicist that wrote a paper on Geometric Langlands conjecture?

15. Oct 25, 2007 #14
    Actually, he is a Fields medalist but no Nobel prize:) so we should put him in the maths camp. Imagine if string theory was connected to nature in a deep way then he would also line up for the nobel prize?

Although what kind of journals does he publish in? Are they more maths or physics journals?

16. Oct 25, 2007 #15
  17. Oct 25, 2007 #16
    How much representation theory is in string theory?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?