1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics or Computer Science

1. Aug 23, 2015 #1
    Hello. I am writing this post, hoping, you can help me make a decision. This September i will aplly to University. I have two fields of interesting: Pure Mathematics and Computer Science. Which to choose?

I was really bad at math a year ago, not knowing how to solve a linear equation. Now i have a passion for it. In six months, i developed my math maturity so quick: From Pre-Algebra to Differential Calculus and Basic Linear Algebra. I now can read math books arrow-10x10.png with the crazy notations and definions.

I learned Math with passion and curiosity, i didn´t only memorize definitions, i tried to understood it all, the more abstract, the better. Troughout this last month, i became interested in proofs, i don´t want formulas given to me anymore without knowing where they come from and of course tried to proof at my own. I don´t like definions written mostly in english, i enjoy symbols more. I also became interested in word problems, modelling and simulations.

Now, i have another passion. It is programming, algorithms, hardware. That doesn´t mean i like or dislike to design websites or iphone apps. I like modelling, simulations (using pysichs). I want to make investigation specially in Robotics, Game Engines, Algorithms or work as a software arrow-10x10.png engineer.

Both degress are a Bachelor (3 years) with possibility of a master´s degree (2 years). The mathematics university i am applying is considered to be the best in Portugal (UNIVERSIDADE NOVA - if you want to look at it), has a strong investigation component and close to 0% Unemployment.

The computer science university i am applying is the favourite of the companies. Almost every student is asked to work in the first two years! Its also 0% Unemployment

Double major is out of the question. I will have to work on a part-time to pay my tuition. I supoose i can study math as a hobby (vacations, weekends, nights, etc.)

Another thing... I am dating a girl for a year and i really like her and the computer science degree would help me organize my life better. Get a job, living with her in a house, etc.

So i was thinking... Get a computer science degree and years later, a math degree?

Wich field to pursuit? Love or Math? LOL. I would like to hear some opinions. I can give you also the curriculum of both degrees.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2015 #2
    Theoretical computer science (if you would go on to get a doctorate) is essentially a branch of math. How that affects your employability, I don't know.

4. Aug 23, 2015 #3
    I plan on getting a Master´s and a PhD wich includes a lot of math and pysichs and even computational biology. The main issue is not the employment itself, they both have 0% unemplyment, but in the computer science, most students get full or part-time job interviews just before the end of the 2nd semester and thats great! I wil have to work to pay tuition anyway, so working in computer science while studying it... Thats a huge advantage. Still i am more passionate about mathematics. Should i pursue it by self-studying in years to come?

5. Aug 23, 2015 #4
    Why not consider a degree in computational physics? That is what I'm doing; instead of taking experimental courses (experimental lab), you take computational physics courses which teach you about algorithms, and also take several courses in the CS department.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook