Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics paper cover design

1. Nov 3, 2016 #1
    hello, a bit of topic. we're having an exhibition at my university to display outstanding papers. my paper was about my passion for mathematics. I am seeking some ideas to make visitors want to read my paper. I dont want something too childish. I was thinking of making a string model of some equation or possibly fibbonacci sequence, but I didnt find anything on the web. Or maybe i do a painting as the back

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 3, 2016 #3
    Thank you for your reply :) My paper is entitled "a passion for numbers" it's about, well, my passion for math. so i was thinking of making a fibonacci spiral with thread or maybe something else but of mathematical significance. something beautiful and artistic.

5. Nov 3, 2016 #4

fresh_42

The mathematical equivalence to ##E = m\cdot c^2## is Euler's identity
    $$e^{i \pi} = -1$$
    And here is something funny I once found:
    $$2^n+7^n+8^n+18^n+19^n+24^n=3^n+4^n+12^n+14^n+22^n+23^n \text{ for } n =0,1,...,5$$

6. Nov 3, 2016 #5

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Try fractals, in particular a "Julia Set".

7. Nov 3, 2016 #6

fresh_42

I personally like this formula involving the Fibonacci sequence and two other sequences:
    $$
    \sum_{n\in\mathbb{N}}\frac{F_n}{n}\cdot\frac{L_n}{n}\cdot\frac{1}{(n+1)C_n} = \frac{(2\pi)^2}{\sqrt{5}^5}
    $$
    where ##F_n## is the Fibonacci sequence, ##L_n## the Lucas sequence and ##C_n## the Catalan sequence. You will find their definitions, e.g. on Wikipedia.

8. Nov 3, 2016 #7
    Thanks for the great ideas. I'll keep u updated on what i settle on.
    Best

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted