Mathematics paper cover design

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking ideas to make their paper about their passion for mathematics more visually appealing for an upcoming exhibition at their university. Suggestions include creating a string model or painting related to the Fibonacci sequence, fractals, or a formula involving the Fibonacci, Lucas, and Catalan sequences. The conversation also touches on the famous equations ##E = m\cdot c^2## and ##e^{i \pi} = -1## not being literally equivalent, and a random fact about integral curves in 1874.
curious mind 111
hello, a bit of topic. we're having an exhibition at my university to display outstanding papers. my paper was about my passion for mathematics. I am seeking some ideas to make visitors want to read my paper. I don't want something too childish. I was thinking of making a string model of some equation or possibly fibbonacci sequence, but I didnt find anything on the web. Or maybe i do a painting as the back

Physics news on Phys.org
Childish is a personal view. There can be a lot of insight in a "childish" drawing. But what is your paper about? Shouldn't the cover be related to the content? Here's a proposal connected to the Fibonacci sequence:

daisy-spiral.jpg

Source: https://sharoncas.wordpress.com/2012/06/28/non-linear-pattern-web-quest-alg-4c1-7/

Thank you for your reply :) My paper is entitled "a passion for numbers" it's about, well, my passion for math. so i was thinking of making a fibonacci spiral with thread or maybe something else but of mathematical significance. something beautiful and artistic.

The mathematical equivalence to ##E = m\cdot c^2## is Euler's identity
$$e^{i \pi} = -1$$
And here is something funny I once found:
$$2^n+7^n+8^n+18^n+19^n+24^n=3^n+4^n+12^n+14^n+22^n+23^n \text{ for } n =0,1,...,5$$

curious mind 111 said:
something beautiful and artistic.
Try fractals, in particular a "Julia Set".

I personally like this formula involving the Fibonacci sequence and two other sequences:
$$
\sum_{n\in\mathbb{N}}\frac{F_n}{n}\cdot\frac{L_n}{n}\cdot\frac{1}{(n+1)C_n} = \frac{(2\pi)^2}{\sqrt{5}^5}
$$
where ##F_n## is the Fibonacci sequence, ##L_n## the Lucas sequence and ##C_n## the Catalan sequence. You will find their definitions, e.g. on Wikipedia.

Thanks for the great ideas. I'll keep u updated on what i settle on.
Best

fresh_42 said:
The mathematical equivalence to ##E = m\cdot c^2## is Euler's identity
$$e^{i \pi} = -1$$
Why are they equivalent?

pinball1970 said:
Why are they equivalent?
They are not literally equivalent. I meant, they are equally famous as THE equation in physics, resp. mathematics.

Likes pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
They are not literally equivalent. I meant, they are equally famous as THE equation in physics, resp. mathematics.
Good! I was thinking what the hell!? They both have 'e' buts it's a different E!

Likes fresh_42
pinball1970 said:
Good! I was thinking what the hell!? They both have 'e' buts it's a different E!
Who knows? e is a pretty natural quantity. Maybe someone finally finds a connection.

Likes pinball1970
What happened in 1874?

Frabjous said:
What happened in 1874?
If the family of integral curves of the differential equation ##M\,dx + N\,dy = 0## is left unaltered by the group ##Uf \equiv \xi \dfrac{df}{dx}+\eta \dfrac{df}{dy},## ##\dfrac{1}{\xi M+\eta N}## is an integrating factor of the differential equation. (M.S. Lie, Christiania 1874)

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and Frabjous
I was banking on 'trams.'

The integral curve thing did not occur to me...

1. What elements should be included in a mathematics paper cover design?

A mathematics paper cover design should include the title of the paper, the author's name, the date, and the name of the institution or organization where the paper is being presented or published.

2. What color scheme is best for a mathematics paper cover design?

The color scheme for a mathematics paper cover design should be simple and professional. Neutral colors such as black, white, or shades of gray are often used, but bold colors can also be effective if used sparingly.

3. Is it necessary to include graphics or images on a mathematics paper cover design?

No, it is not necessary to include graphics or images on a mathematics paper cover design. However, if relevant and appropriate, a simple and relevant graphic or image can enhance the design and catch the reader's attention.

4. What font style and size should be used for the title on a mathematics paper cover design?

The font style and size used for the title on a mathematics paper cover design should be clear and easily readable. A sans-serif font is often preferred, and the size should be large enough to stand out but not too overwhelming.

5. How can I make my mathematics paper cover design stand out?

To make your mathematics paper cover design stand out, you can use a unique color scheme or font, include a relevant graphic or image, and ensure that all elements are well-organized and visually appealing. However, it is important to keep the design simple and professional to maintain the focus on the content of the paper.