1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics Research

1. Jun 4, 2005 #1
    I am a high school student (junior) and am looking to do some research over the summer and maybe enter a project into Intel or Siemens-Westinghouse. However, I will not have the opportunity to work with someone at a university. My background in mathematics isn't very strong, as I have only completed single-variable calculus (AP Calculus BC). I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what topics I could study with this type of background. Also, where can I find a problem to tackle if I want to do research? I have gone to sites like PlanetMath, and looked through the "Unproven" section, but it is all much too advanced for me at this point. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2005 #2
    what field are you interested in?
    biology, physics, chemistry, coding, info theory & Cryptography, social science,econ, psychology, pure math etc.

there are many projects to pursue at your level which will lead you to learning more advanced mathematics(if your willing to do so) in any chosen field

Think of a field of interest then you can discuss with others on the forums about the possibility. Once you've discovered a field and preferably a topic range then you can ask a professor about ideas on where to look. Some professors are nice enough to give you a starting point. You don't have to work for them, they'll just give you a references and stuff to look at but be prepared to do more self-reading. I once emailed a professor on parasitology and he sent me too book sin highschool...i was grossed out.

Search for this book online...i think some parts are free Gary Flake's "Computational Beauty of Nature" i believe its from MIT...the math should be relatively easy. ITs a blend of math and programming with an applied science(biology for the most part).

mathematical biology may be something you might like...i enjoyed it very much. I'm waiting to study mathematical neuroscience.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?