Researching Mathematics for High School Students with Calculus BC Background

In summary, the speaker is a high school student looking to do research over the summer and potentially enter a project into Intel or Siemens-Westinghouse, but does not have the opportunity to work with someone at a university. They have a weak background in mathematics and are seeking suggestions on possible topics to study and where to find problems to tackle. They have gone to sites like PlanetMath but have found the material to be too advanced. The speaker is open to a variety of fields, such as biology, physics, chemistry, coding, and social science, and is willing to learn more advanced mathematics. They are also seeking advice from professors and have had a positive experience emailing one about parasitology. They recommend looking for the book "Computational Beauty
amcavoy
I am a high school student (junior) and am looking to do some research over the summer and maybe enter a project into Intel or Siemens-Westinghouse. However, I will not have the opportunity to work with someone at a university. My background in mathematics isn't very strong, as I have only completed single-variable calculus (AP Calculus BC). I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what topics I could study with this type of background. Also, where can I find a problem to tackle if I want to do research? I have gone to sites like PlanetMath, and looked through the "Unproven" section, but it is all much too advanced for me at this point. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
what field are you interested in?
biology, physics, chemistry, coding, info theory & Cryptography, social science,econ, psychology, pure math etc.

there are many projects to pursue at your level which will lead you to learning more advanced mathematics(if your willing to do so) in any chosen field

Think of a field of interest then you can discuss with others on the forums about the possibility. Once you've discovered a field and preferably a topic range then you can ask a professor about ideas on where to look. Some professors are nice enough to give you a starting point. You don't have to work for them, they'll just give you a references and stuff to look at but be prepared to do more self-reading. I once emailed a professor on parasitology and he sent me too book sin high school...i was grossed out.

Search for this book online...i think some parts are free Gary Flake's "Computational Beauty of Nature" i believe its from MIT...the math should be relatively easy. ITs a blend of math and programming with an applied science(biology for the most part).

mathematical biology may be something you might like...i enjoyed it very much. I'm waiting to study mathematical neuroscience.

First of all, it is great to see that you are interested in conducting research in mathematics even with a limited background in the subject. With your background in AP Calculus BC, there are still many interesting topics that you can explore and potentially develop into a research project.

One suggestion would be to look into the applications of calculus in real-world situations. For example, you could research the use of calculus in physics, economics, or engineering. This would not only strengthen your understanding of calculus but also allow you to see its practical applications.

Another idea would be to delve deeper into the concepts of calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals, and explore their connections to other branches of mathematics. This could lead you to study topics such as differential equations, vector calculus, or multivariable calculus.

As for finding a problem to tackle, you can start by looking at past research projects from Intel or Siemens-Westinghouse competitions and see if any of them spark your interest. You can also reach out to your math teacher or a local university for guidance and potential research opportunities.

Additionally, you can look for resources online such as math journals, research papers, or online communities where you can discuss and exchange ideas with other math enthusiasts. As you mentioned, PlanetMath is a great resource, but don't be discouraged if some of the topics seem too advanced. You can always start with simpler concepts and work your way up.

Overall, the key is to find a topic that interests you, and do not be afraid to ask for help and guidance along the way. Good luck with your research!

1. What topics should be covered when researching mathematics for high school students with Calculus BC background?

Some important topics to consider when researching mathematics for high school students with Calculus BC background include derivatives, integrals, limits, sequences and series, and applications of calculus in real-world situations. It is also important to consider the level of rigor and depth to which these topics should be covered based on the students' prior knowledge and abilities.

2. How can I effectively differentiate instruction for students with varying levels of calculus background?

One way to differentiate instruction is by providing a pre-assessment to determine the students' level of understanding in calculus. This can help you tailor the curriculum to meet the needs of each student. Additionally, incorporating a variety of teaching strategies, such as hands-on activities, visual aids, and real-world applications, can help engage and support students with different learning styles and levels of understanding.

3. Are there any specific resources or materials that are recommended for teaching mathematics to high school students with a Calculus BC background?

There are many resources available for teaching mathematics to high school students with a Calculus BC background. Some recommended resources include textbooks specifically designed for this level, online resources such as interactive calculators and practice problems, and teacher-created materials such as worksheets and lesson plans. It is important to carefully evaluate and select resources that align with your curriculum goals and the needs of your students.

4. How can I make the material more engaging and relevant for high school students with a Calculus BC background?

One way to make the material more engaging and relevant is to incorporate real-world applications of calculus into lessons. This can help students see the practical applications of the concepts they are learning and make connections to their everyday lives. Additionally, incorporating hands-on activities, group work, and technology can help make the material more interactive and engaging for students.

5. How can I assess the understanding and progress of high school students with a Calculus BC background?

Assessment can be done through a variety of methods, including tests, quizzes, projects, and presentations. It is important to use a combination of formative and summative assessments to continuously monitor students' understanding and progress. Additionally, providing feedback and opportunities for students to reflect on their learning can help them further develop their understanding and skills in calculus.