1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics Research

1. Jan 4, 2015 #1
    I'm interested in getting involved with some research while I'm still an undergrad and don't quite know where to start. I don't meet qualifications for REU programs in my area and literature on where to start is scarce.

As for field of interest I'm interested in linear algebra/matrix theory, number theory, applied mathematics and recently graph theory.

Any suggestions on how to get started?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Talk to a professor and ask him/her if you can do research.

4. Jan 6, 2015 #3
    What do you mean you don't meet the qualifications for an REU?

Regardless, assuming you've taken courses in the subject, ask the professors of the subject if they know anyone who is taking on students for research. I did research in graph theory for about a semester before I realized I'd rather claw my eyes out. Some find it interesting though.

5. Jan 6, 2015 #4
    The ones in my area have a higher GPA requirement than what I have at this time. My university has an RTG for undergraduates but I haven't seen any activity from them in a year and a half. There are a couple professors I'm getting ready to ask to see if anything can happen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook