1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics self-study

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    I'm a biochemistry major who's interested in continuing my studies of mathematics on my own time, mainly for time and monetary reasons (school's getting more expensive) and because I think competence in math can be helpful in other areas. At my university I'm required to go through a full year of calculus and of my own choice I will be taking a linear algebra course and most likely a course in differential equations to prepare myself for the quantum mechanics requirement.

With that said, I'm looking for advice on a list of topics that I can study one at a time in an order that makes sense.

My order so far goes like this:
    1 year calculus course
    Intro Linear Algebra
    ODEs

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2

jacksonpeeble

Gold Member

I know that the University of Michigan offers a class called "Mathematical Methods in Chemical Engineering." A course like that would probably be beneficial to you, and the resources are pretty readily available online.

Course Description: "Linear algebra, ordinary and partial differential equations, integral equations with chemical engineering applications. Analytical techniques and preliminaries for numerical methods, including: spectral analysis, orthogonal polynomials, Green's functions, separation of variables, existence and uniqueness of solutions."

4. Oct 25, 2008 #3
    There's a course similar like that at my university "Mathematical Methods for Chemists" which uses McQuarrie's Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers book. Ultimately the main reason I'm interested is because I think that a mind used to thinking inside a mathematical framework would be beneficial to my field. That's why I want to continue learning into higher mathematics.

5. Oct 25, 2008 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

Unless your 1-year calculus course includes multi-variable calculus, you may need some of that before differential equations

6. Oct 25, 2008 #5
    It most certainly does. Functions of several variables, geometry of space, etc. A pretty typical calc 3 course IIRC.

I drafted a preliminary list based on some of the classes offered at my university:
    Analysis
    Discrete math
    Number theory
    Abstract algebra
    Complex/Functional analysis
    -more stuff if i have time-

But then again, that's just from looking at a course list and seeing what requirements for which class were what. Given that I would be doing it one at a time there might be a better order.

7. Oct 26, 2008 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

Real analysis in place of number theory? (He says at the risk is annoying all the number theorists) - I can't see a lot of use for number theory in your area, but can definitely see analysis used, and it will be needed before complex and functional analysis.

8. Oct 26, 2008 #7
    So a more revised list:
    Discrete math
    Real analysis
    Abstract Algebra
    Complex/Functional analysis
    -other things like number theory-

While I'm at it, does anybody have suggestions for good books with lots of problems and worked examples?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?