Math Suggestion for EE Student - Sandy

In summary: Thanks for the input!In summary, Sandy is looking for a mathematics course that is not a required course at her University. She is interested in partial differential equations, vector calculus, ordinary differential equations, and vector fields. She would also like to take a course in complex analysis and differential geometry.
sandy.bridge
Hello all,
I am an EE student exceptionally interested in specializing in Electromagnetics, RF and microwaves. Can anyone suggest a mathematics course that is not a required course at my University. For example. the requred courses are Calculus I, II, III and IV. I want to ensure that I have capable background.
Regards, Sandy.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your calc classes were light on vector calculus then take a course on that. I don't know what Calc IV is or how far you went in in it.

Almost any type of mathematics would be an asset, the trouble is limited time.
Of particular interest would be
-linear algebra
-ordinary differential equations
-partial differential equations
-greens functions
-transform methods
-numerical methods
-boundary value problems
-complex analysis
-real analysis
-harmonic analysis
-Fourier analysis
-vector analysis
-tensor analysis
-differential forms
-differential geometry
-algebraic topology

You are doing EE and they don't require basic Complex Analysis or Linear Algebra? Wow.

Hopefully, one of your Calc courses listed was actually a differential equations course. Otherwise, that is very important as well.

Is it intrusive to ask which school this is?

Hello,
I go to USask, in Canada. I'll provide a little description of each class.

Calc I: A review of basic algebraic concepts, trigonometry and functions. An introduction to limits and differential and integral calculus, max-min problems, curve sketching, related rate problems. Specifically for students in the College of Engineering.

Calc II: Differentiation and integration of inverse trigonometric functions, exponential, hyperbolic and logarithmic functions with applications. Techniques of integration; applications to work, pressure, moments and centroids. Polar co-ordinates and parametric equations of plane curves; complex numbers.

Calc III: Vectors and coordinate geometry in 3- space; vector functions and curves; partial differentiation; applications to partial derivatives; multiple integration.

Calc IV: Vector fields; vector calculus; ordinary differential equations; sequences, series, and power series.

Thanks!

Interesting. Here in BC it seems that more math is the norm:

Here is UVic base engineering requirements:
http://web.uvic.ca/calendar2011/FACS/FoEn/BoEnaBoSEAR/BaBSPR.html

Here is UBC first year:
http://www.engineering.ubc.ca/current_students/undergraduate/first_year/index.php [Broken]
And further for EE:
http://www.ece.ubc.ca/academic-programs/undergraduate/programs/electrical-engineering-program

Both require separate courses in linear algebra, ODEs, Numerical Methods and Stats but I was wrong about Complex Analysis being common.

I am not an engineer but, hopefully your Calc IV covered enough ODEs. Other EEs will be able to tell you more about what is most useful to your interests.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the importance of math in Electrical Engineering?

Math is a crucial aspect of Electrical Engineering as it allows students to understand and analyze complex systems, perform calculations, and solve problems within the field. It provides the foundation for understanding concepts such as circuit analysis, signal processing, and control systems.

2. What are some specific areas of math that EE students should focus on?

Some specific areas of math that EE students should focus on include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, complex numbers, and probability and statistics. These topics are essential for understanding and solving problems in various aspects of Electrical Engineering.

3. How can I improve my math skills as an EE student?

One way to improve math skills as an EE student is to practice regularly. Solving problems and working through examples is a great way to reinforce concepts and improve understanding. Additionally, seeking help from professors, tutors, or classmates can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any online resources for EE students to improve their math skills?

Yes, there are several online resources that can help EE students improve their math skills. Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX offer free math courses and tutorials that are specifically tailored for engineering students. Additionally, many textbooks and online forums also provide practice problems and solutions.

5. How important is it for EE students to have a strong foundation in math?

Having a strong foundation in math is crucial for EE students as it forms the basis for understanding and solving complex problems within the field. Without a solid understanding of math, it can be challenging to grasp advanced concepts and apply them to real-world situations. Therefore, it is essential for EE students to prioritize and strengthen their math skills.