From Mathematics to MS in EE: Exploring the Potential of Skipping the BS in EE

In summary: But with EE I don't have any transcripts, I'm not sure if that would matter.In summary, it is possible to go from a BS in mathematics to a MS in EE and skip the BS in EE altogether. However, you would need to do a lot of catching up and would need to have good math scores and a good GPA.
Skrew
I was wondering if it was possible to go from a BS in mathematics to a MS in EE and skip the BS in EE altogether?

I was interested in a double major of EE and Mathematics but I'm wondering if its really needed to get a BS in EE to do a MS in EE?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on the institution and your ability to convince a graduate committee you are qualified, it is possible. However, if you've never taken an EE class you are likely not going to be accepted on the reasonable basis you're not qualified.

Skrew said:
I was wondering if it was possible to go from a BS in mathematics to a MS in EE and skip the BS in EE altogether?

I was interested in a double major of EE and Mathematics but I'm wondering if its really needed to get a BS in EE to do a MS in EE?

Probably not necessary...but probably strongly in your favor to get a BS in EE. You would need to do so much catching up. If your career goal is to do something EE related why not double major or major in EE minor in math? I know a graduate student in physics who did his BS in Aerospace engineering. He said he had to take classes for a year to "catch up", and I would say AE is more closely related to Physics than Math to EE.

For every non-engineering major who wants to do engineering graduate school, you will have to take "leveling" undergrad courses to get caught up. This can be 5 courses or so. If you're still in your B.S. and have free electives, fill the free electives with the undergrad EE leveling courses. You'll have to talk to the EE Department about that.

You *might* be good to do communications or signal processing with a math background (namely discrete math, linear algebra, differential equations, numerical analysis and maybe complex analysis will serve you well in EE); I agree with Shackleford to start taking some EE classes: signals&systems, circuits, electronics, maybe logic design or controls or communications if you want to catch up.

Shackleford said:
For every non-engineering major who wants to do engineering graduate school, you will have to take "leveling" undergrad courses to get caught up. This can be 5 courses or so. If you're still in your B.S. and have free electives, fill the free electives with the undergrad EE leveling courses. You'll have to talk to the EE Department about that.

I wouldn't have any problem with taking those classes, I actually assumed I would have to do something along those lines.

When it comes to actual graduate school admission at a state college, do you believe they would be pretty lenient when it comes to not having a BS in EE but a BS in mathematics?

In terms of math my scores are pretty good, my GPA is ~3.9.

1. What is the relationship between Mathematics and MS in EE?

Mathematics and MS in EE have a close relationship as mathematics is the foundation for many concepts and theories in electrical engineering. A strong understanding of mathematical principles is essential for success in an MS in EE program.

2. What math topics are important to know for an MS in EE?

Some important math topics for an MS in EE include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, complex analysis, and probability and statistics. These topics provide a strong basis for understanding advanced electrical engineering concepts.

3. How will mathematics be applied in an MS in EE program?

In an MS in EE program, mathematics is applied to solve complex problems and model various electrical systems. It is used to analyze data, design circuits, and understand the behavior of electrical components.

4. Is a strong math background necessary for an MS in EE?

While a strong math background is not a requirement for admission to an MS in EE program, it is highly recommended. Many graduate-level courses in electrical engineering require a solid understanding of mathematics, and having a strong foundation in math can make the coursework more manageable.

5. How can I improve my math skills for an MS in EE program?

To improve your math skills for an MS in EE program, you can review fundamental math concepts and practice solving problems. You can also take additional math courses or seek out study groups or tutoring resources. It is also important to continuously apply mathematical concepts to real-world problems in order to strengthen your skills.