1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics Tutoring

1. Dec 18, 2015 #1
    Once the Spring Semester starts up, I'll be applying to become a mathematics tutor at my community college. I have good blessings for it from my Calculus Professor. I'll essentially be tutoring from basic developmental maths through precalculus and Calculus I. I've got the calculus down rather well, I've been reviewing it over the break to kind of cement it in my head, and I have a thorough grasp on what's taught in the class so I think it will be easy for me to tutor that. The others may be a bit more difficult for me I think, though, not for lack of skill in the subject but simply because it's been a while since I've taken precalculus and the basic maths.

So I've been refreshing myself with Khan academy, and been practicing basic algebra along with my calculus stuff every day. Outside of Khan academy, what would you guys recommend as resources to make sure my knowledge is mostly complete and I have the ability to tutor people in the basic developmental maths and precalculus as well as Calculus?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2015 #2
  4. Dec 21, 2015 #3
    If you are good at calculus, you must be good at pre-calc and basic math, I am sure. What you need is confidence at this point. You can build that confidence by going over the particular textbooks used in those courses. Once you start tutoring, soon you will know how to be prepared to tackle any problems that comes your way. Good Luck!

5. Dec 21, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the help. Yeah, I know I'm good at math, it's just remembering certain particulars. And I only really have a text-book for College Algebra. I may have a PDF of the Precalculus text book...

6. Dec 21, 2015 #5
    Do they offer any basic training?
    There are a lot of really simple things which you'll need to keep in mind.

You cannot take for granted that the students really understand what they are actually doing is one of the big ones.
    Things you find completely trivial can be hurdles for others.
    The first part is identifying these hurdles. (pinpoint might be more accurate than identifying)
    The harder part is dealing with them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook