1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics - Vectors

1. Jun 4, 2004 #1

Hi,
    How do i go about calculating a 'mobility vector' from 3 vectors v1, v2 & v3?

Thanks?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2004 #2
    what is a 'mobility vector'? Is it just the resultant vector?

4. Jun 4, 2004 #3

Hi,
    The question just give 3 vectors v1, v2, v3 (in cartesian format) and ask "what is the mobility vector of this network as a single unit?show it on your cartesian coordinate system"

btw. how doe you calculate a resultant vector?

Regards

5. Jun 4, 2004 #4
    Ok than it is the resultant vector (which is the sum of the vectors). What you would have to do is use the components method. You know that if you are adding two vectors that are in the same direction, than you can simply add their magnitudes to obtain the the resultant vector. The idea of components is to break each vector into two components, one that runs horizontally and one that runs vertically (x and y components). This way you can simply add all your x components and all your y components to obtain a new vector. All you need is basic trig knowledge. I can't draw you diagrams, so i suggest you look in your physics textbook to help you understand how you would use trig to break these into components.

6. Jun 5, 2004 #5

Gza

mobility vector? never heard that one before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?