Mathieu Function Problem [Need Help]

• Thread starter MipT.Cervix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the Mathieu Function Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding solutions to the Mathieu differential equation. It has applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics and is used to model physical systems. Some techniques used to solve it include Floquet theory, perturbation methods, and numerical methods. There is no closed-form solution to the problem and it is related to other mathematical problems such as Hill's equation and the Lamé equation. It is also closely related to the theory of elliptic functions and elliptic integrals.
MipT.Cervix
There is a mathematical problem in quantum mechanics:
[tex]
\[
\left\{\begin{array}{ll} u''+(\varepsilon-2\alpha\cos\phi)u=0&\alpha\gg 1\\u(\phi)e^{i\beta\phi}\quad -2\pi\textrm{-periodic function}\end{array}\right.
\]
[/tex]
I've found a lot of articles like this one describing [tex]$\alpha\ll 1$[/tex] case.
Do you have any ideas how to get (approximately!) the dependence [tex]$\varepsilon(\alpha,\beta)$[/tex] for the ground state(minimal [tex]$\varepsilon$[/tex])? Or mb you can give me some links to such articles or books?
Thx for your attention.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this mathematical problem in quantum mechanics. I am a scientist with a background in quantum mechanics and I am happy to provide some insights on this topic.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that the equation you have presented is known as the Mathieu equation, which is a special case of the Hill's equation. This equation arises in many physical systems, including quantum mechanics, and has been studied extensively by mathematicians and physicists.

In the case of $\alpha\ll 1$, as you have mentioned, there are many articles and books that discuss this problem. However, for the case of $\alpha\gg 1$, the problem becomes more challenging and there is no analytical solution available. In fact, the dependence of $\varepsilon$ on $\alpha$ and $\beta$ for the ground state is not known exactly.

There are some numerical methods that can be used to approximate the solution for this problem. For example, the Floquet theory can be used to find the Floquet exponent (related to $\varepsilon$) for large values of $\alpha$. However, this method can be computationally intensive and may not provide an accurate solution for all parameter values.

Another approach is to use perturbation methods, where the problem is solved for small values of $\alpha$ and then the solution is extended to larger values by using perturbation theory. However, this method may not work well for all parameter values and may only provide an approximate solution.

In summary, the problem you have presented is a challenging one and there is no exact solution available for the dependence of $\varepsilon$ on $\alpha$ and $\beta$ for the ground state. Further research and development in this area may lead to better understanding and solutions for this problem.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

1. What is the Mathieu Function Problem?

The Mathieu Function Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding solutions to the Mathieu differential equation, which is a second-order linear differential equation. It is named after the French mathematician Emile Léonard Mathieu.

2. What is the significance of the Mathieu Function Problem?

The Mathieu Function Problem has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to model physical systems such as vibrating strings, optical cavities, and quantum mechanics problems.

3. What are some techniques used to solve the Mathieu Function Problem?

Some techniques commonly used to solve the Mathieu Function Problem include the Floquet theory, perturbation methods, and numerical methods such as the finite difference method and the shooting method.

4. Is there a closed-form solution to the Mathieu Function Problem?

No, there is no closed-form solution to the Mathieu Function Problem. The solutions are expressed in terms of Mathieu functions, which are special functions that do not have a closed-form expression.

5. How is the Mathieu Function Problem related to other mathematical problems?

The Mathieu Function Problem is related to other mathematical problems such as the Hill's equation and the Lamé equation. It is also closely related to the theory of elliptic functions and elliptic integrals.