Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MathIM: A LaTeX web-based chat

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    Hi everyone. Out of a personal need to send complicated equations to my Physics classmates over instant messenger, I've pieced together a LaTeX enabled web-based chat system.

Two people can go to the website, enter a chat room, and chat with standard LaTeX math.

It's at http://www.mathim.com. Thought some other people might find it useful. Let me know if there are any bugs, suggestions, or questions.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2
    MathIM

This looks like a great tool, just the sort of thing I have been looking for.

But, I have been having trouble getting it to work. I make up a room name, select "Start Chatting", it takes me to a new window. The preview works ok, but I just get
    "Chat loading, please wait".

Am I supposed to have some software loaded, or are the room names only certain allowed names?

I would love to be able to get this working for my students.

Glenn

4. Nov 5, 2007 #3
    Hi, there was a problem with the site. It should be fixed now. Please let me know if there are any other problems.

5. Jan 10, 2008 #4
    Hi, seems to be another problem. All my backslashes are translated to forward slashes. This happens on both PC on Internet explorer and on Mac on Safari.

There was a brief discussion on the MacTeX mail list about chat tools with latex, so I mentioned your Mathim site.

Glenn

6. Mar 15, 2008 #5
    Who all uses this? Is it safe?

7. Mar 16, 2008 #6
    Seems like mostly math and physics students.

It's safe.

8. Apr 8, 2008 #7

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was going to use it for a mathful discussion with some fellow students, but it seems to have become ridicilously slow (to the point where just loading the chat takes ~5 minutes and no text appears anymore). Pinging the site gives about 120 ms RTT. Is this a regular problem? When it worked for a few minutes, it was very nice though!

9. Apr 18, 2008 #8
    Hi, I agree there's been slowness issues in the past few days, which is why I've moved the thing to a new server yesterday. Hopefully that solves any speed issues.

10. May 3, 2008 #9
    ok is it possible to have it in ur own forum i mean kinda emebedd it or something like that
    also some suggestions...i think u run that on miktex...
    u shud update that...since codes like \binom{n}{r} don't work....
    also is it possible for u to have chemistry packages like m-chem

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  11. May 8, 2008 #10
    Sorry, I don't run it on miktex. I can't add m-chem packages etc.

You can have your own room by choosing a secret room name.

Thanks.

12. May 10, 2008 #11
    sorry i forgot this .........the idea was superb!!!!!!

13. Aug 21, 2008 #12
    This was down for a period of 15 days or so. It's been fixed now.

14. Aug 28, 2008 #13
    this is really cool. It is a good and faster way to talk with a fried about sheets.

Thanks

15. Dec 2, 2008 #14
    Useful site.
    Its nice not to download 80+MB of Latex tools to write a friend some symbols.

16. Apr 20, 2011 #15

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thread locked, due to attracting too many posts (now deleted) that do not contribute to the discussion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?