Mathjax Problem: Latex Error Today, No Changes

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter PAllen
  • Start date
In summary, some users experienced issues with LaTeX not rendering correctly, showing a "Math Error" message. The issue seemed to be related to IE9 and possible problems loading js files. A temporary fix was put in place and later a permanent fix was implemented, resolving the issue.
PAllen
Science Advisor
Yesterday, latex was fine. Today, all posts with latex get "Math Error". No changes on my machine. Anyone else seeing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Works OK for me.

Now it works fine for me too. Same machine, browser, etc. Didn't work then, works now. All is fine for now.

Perhaps it had problem downloading MathJax code from the cloud.

My Latex has also stopped working. Wherever I once saw perfectly fine latex text, I now see "Math Processing Error" in red. I haven't installed anything new.

BiP

Earlier today I had a few of those errors, then all was fine.

Now I get that error for ALL LaTeX code.

[itex]\displaystyle \text{Like this .}[/itex]

SammyS said:
Earlier today I had a few of those errors, then all was fine.

Now I get that error for ALL LaTeX code.

[itex]\displaystyle \text{Like this .}[/itex]

I'm not getting any explicit error message, but LaTeX is not rendering correctly for me. It looks like what Sammy showed, above.

I'm running IE 9. I tried logging out and logging back in, and was not able to open the PF site for about an hour, possibly a different problem.

EDIT: I just tried closing IE, and then restarting it, but that didn't change things.

No success yet, after clearing my browser's cache.

Mark44 said:
No success yet, after clearing my browser's cache.

hmmm IE9 looks fine for me. Can you attach a screenshot?

edit: hmmm now I see there is a problem

Last edited:
Greg,
It seems to work fine on IE8, which I'm running at home. I'm having the problems on two machines at work, where I'm running IE9. I think they might be having problems loading one or more of the js files.

If the problem is still there tomorrow I'll attach a screen shot, or if the problem goes away, I'll say that. Either way I'll get back to you tomorrow.

. . . got trouble in River-city looks to me. I mean don't you hate that, install an update then bam! stuff stops workin'. At least we're not FDA-regulated. Discrepancy meetings, heads on the block, revalidations, all that stuff. Yeah, mine's not workin' neither but I try not to be a pain or nothin'.

Mark44 said:
Greg,
It seems to work fine on IE8, which I'm running at home. I'm having the problems on two machines at work, where I'm running IE9. I think they might be having problems loading one or more of the js files.

If the problem is still there tomorrow I'll attach a screen shot, or if the problem goes away, I'll say that. Either way I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Still not working. Here's a shot of what I'm seeing.
PFScreenShot.png

The pi and pi/2 parts are inside [ itex ] and [ /itex ] tags.

a temp fix has been placed, works for me in IE9 now. will update with further developments. thanks!

The LaTeX is now rendering for me in IE9. Thanks, Greg!

1. What is a Mathjax problem?

A Mathjax problem refers to an error that occurs when using the Mathjax library for rendering mathematical equations and symbols in HTML pages. This library uses LaTeX syntax to format equations, and a Mathjax problem can occur when there is an issue with the LaTeX code or the Mathjax library itself.

2. What does "Latex Error Today" mean in the Mathjax problem?

The phrase "Latex Error Today" in a Mathjax problem refers to the specific error that occurred while rendering the mathematical equation or symbol. This error message is generated by the LaTeX compiler and can indicate a syntax error or an issue with the LaTeX code.

3. Why am I getting a Mathjax problem even though I have not made any changes?

This could be because there is an issue with the Mathjax library itself, or the webpage you are viewing is using an outdated version of the library. It could also be due to a conflict with other scripts on the webpage. Try updating the Mathjax library or disabling other scripts to see if it resolves the issue.

4. How can I fix a Mathjax problem?

To fix a Mathjax problem, first check the LaTeX code for any syntax errors. If the code is correct, try updating the Mathjax library to the latest version. If the issue persists, there may be a conflict with other scripts on the webpage. In this case, try disabling other scripts or using a different browser.

5. Can I use Mathjax without any problems?

While Mathjax is a widely used and reliable library for rendering mathematical equations and symbols, it is not immune to errors. It is important to ensure that the LaTeX code is correct and that the Mathjax library is up to date. If issues persist, there may be conflicts with other scripts on the webpage.