Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MATLAB Mathlab or Matlab or similar

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    Hello!
    I have heard on occasions about Mathlab, or perhaps, Matlab, which can solve such things as matrices, etc.. Does anyone know where I can acquire this programme or one that is similar? Preferably a free one, but all recommendations are welcome.
    Many Thanks,
    Nobahar.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 25, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the quick response. Is it user-friendly? For example, is the matrix presented in matrix form in which I can enter the components, or is it simiar to wolfram-alpha, which is always a chore to use?

5. Sep 25, 2010 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's pretty easy to enter matrices. If you want to change the (i,j) entry of a matrix M, you just type M(i,j)=x. You can also set whole rows or columns based on vectors you've constructed already. The output is a bit of a pain to read when it's bigger than the screen but it's manageable

6. Sep 25, 2010 #5
    Many thanks Office Shredder.

7. Oct 1, 2010 #6
    Hello!
    How do you install it? I have downloaded the file, but there is not install icon. How did you download and install it?
    Any help appreciated!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook