1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Maths (Courses) are the Devil

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    Hello folks,

Welcome to my rant. If you do not feel like listening to me bemoan the my performance in my Linear Algebra I and Calculus II classes than now is the time for you to leave! Anyways here we go, I am in my first semester of second year, and I finally think I have decided to major in Chemistry. However, in order to get into my Chemistry major I need Linear Algebra I and up to Calculus III, (optionally take ODE if I want to do Advanced Quantum Chemistry). I did well in Calculus I (84%) (I had to take College Algebra due to a bad MPT in first semester) and took Linear Algebra I last semester, and did really bad on the first midterm (12%), but picked up the slack, got 60% on second and 57%ish on the final and passed that course with a pathetic 51% (D). Either way I'm now in my Calculus II class and got the first midterm result back and got a 30%... (39% class average, only one person scored above 75%) and am now royally ticked off, as I feel I'm going to have a repeat of my previous Linear Algebra course. Is this a sign I'm not cut out for Chemistry? The Physics II (E&M) class I'm taking I'm getting about 84-85% in this far and my Intro Chem III I'm making around the same... This is already going to cost me another semester of time as I will specifically have to focus on retaking those two math courses, and can get them replaced I do better, (the grades will still be on the transcript). But my problem is this, should I try to put in a huge amount of effort to save myself in Calc II and risk jeopardizing my other two courses, considering I'm pretty much totally lost in this course now anyways (75% my fault, 25% professor's...), should I drop the course (I don't want to do this as I won't get a refund), or what I'm thinking, should I just continue put in some effort try to learn the material I can, and fail it so I can just deal with it again next semester after I know the material (with Linear Algebra of course)? I also can drop out and go work out West in Fort McMurray with all my friends and make money and perhaps/perhaps not ever come back to science because perhaps I'm not ready, or just too stupid...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook