1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths exam in 3 days

1. Apr 2, 2008 #1
    I have a maths exam in 3 days,
    The topics are as follows, plus i included what kind of questions the topic will ask, not saying i don't know how to do any of these, but whats the most efficient way to revise these topics thoroughly?

Basic arithmetic-
    eg. Evaluate sqrt((pi(5.34)^2)/25.74 - 7.29)
    simplify 2*sqrt(54) + sqrt(150)

Basic algebra-
    eg (x/3)-(3/5)=2

Equations-
    eg. 9x^2 +6x =4 (leave answer in surd form)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

"Evaluate" means perform the arithmetic operations and find the number in its simplest form.

"Simplify" means eliminate the redundant factors and combine any like terms.

4. Apr 3, 2008 #3
    I think you may have misunderstood my question

"whats the most efficient way to revise these topics thoroughly?"

because i fear i have many gaps in my knowledge, and need to thoroughly go through all of these topics in 3 days

5. Apr 3, 2008 #4
    Practice problems, if you can't solve it you don't know the concept behind it yet. That way you know your flaws and will have those concepts fresh in your head.

6. Apr 3, 2008 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's strange that you would think that you have gaps in your knowledge, when they are not asking you informational questions. They are asking you to do calculations. Either you know how to do them or not. So I would advise you just to practice a lot.

Or do you mean that you are lacking in some of the knowledge of the rules of algebra that would be required to do the calculations? If so, then you need to go back to basics.

Again, it's not information so much as techniques that you're being tested on, so I'm confused by your question.

7. Apr 3, 2008 #6
    Sorry, yes i am in fact reffering to some algebra/equation/arithmetic techniques and rules.

Thanks on the lots of practice questions

Im torn between taking time to understand a few questions, and understand exactly what goes on behind the technique

or

Just perfecting using the technique (eg working time)

I havn't time to do both.

8. Apr 3, 2008 #7
    There's not much behind the techniques you are using. It's just basic algebra, so there shouldn't be many concepts to learn.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?