How can I solve this factorization problem without assumptions?

In summary, the person is searching for someone to help them with a maths problem. They list the problem and its variables, and ask for help. They explain that they need to find a and b, and provide an equation for solving for x. They ask for help solving for y, and then give a possible solution.
Milind_shyani
Hello,
I have got one mathematical problem and i am not able to solve it may i plese get some help. My sum is as foolws:-
a^2+b^2=25 and a^3+b^3=91 so now find the values of a and b.
Now here we cannot tahe into consideration that as a^2+b^2=25 , a=3 and b=4 or a=4 and b=3 .But we have to find it by mathematical formulas and without any assumptions. thank you in advance. Please send it soon

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] a^2 + b^2 = 25 \therefore a = \sqrt{25 - b^2} [/tex]
[tex] a = (91 - b^3)^{1/3} [/tex]
Combine the two and solve to get a value (possibly more than one value), and then use these to work out value(s) for a. The re-arranging might be a little complex, but it should be do-able.

Last edited by a moderator:
Milind_shyani said:
Hello,
I have got one mathematical problem and i am not able to solve it may i plese get some help. My sum is as foolws:-
a^2+b^2=25 and a^3+b^3=91 so now find the values of a and b.
Now here we cannot tahe into consideration that as a^2+b^2=25 , a=3 and b=4 or a=4 and b=3 .But we have to find it by mathematical formulas and without any assumptions. thank you in advance. Please send it soon
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} a ^ 2 + b ^ 2 = 25 \quad (1) \\ a ^ 3 + b ^ 3 = 91 \quad (2) \end{array} \right.[/tex]
I think you may want to try this:
Now let x = a + b, and y = ab, we will try to write the equation (1), and (2) in terms of x, and y:
a2 + b2 = (a + b)2 - 2ab = x2 - 2y
a3 + b3 = (a + b) (a2 - ab + b2) = (a + b) ((a + b)2 - 3ab) = x (x2 - 3y) = x3 - 3xy.
So you'll have:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} x ^ 2 - 2y = 25 \quad (3) \\ x ^ 3 - 3xy = 91 \quad (4) \end{array} \right.[/tex]
Now from the equation (3), one can solve y in terms of x, then plug y in equation (4), and solve for x. From there, you can solve for y.
having x = a + b, and y = ab, one then can find a, and b.
Can you go from here? :)

1. What is the purpose of factorization in maths?

Factorization is the process of breaking down a number or expression into its prime factors. It is used to simplify complex expressions, find common factors, and solve equations.

2. How do you find the factors of a number?

To find the factors of a number, you can start by dividing it by the smallest prime number possible. If the result is a whole number, then that number is a factor. Continue dividing by prime numbers until you reach 1.

3. What is the difference between prime factorization and regular factorization?

Prime factorization is the process of breaking down a number into its prime factors, while regular factorization involves finding all the factors of a number, including composite numbers.

4. How do you use factorization to solve equations?

In solving equations, factorization can help by simplifying expressions and making it easier to isolate the variable. By factoring out common factors, you can reduce the complexity of the equation and make it more manageable to solve.

5. What are some real-life applications of factorization?

Factorization has many practical applications, including cryptography, data compression, and number theory. It is also used in engineering and computer science for optimization problems and in economics for cost analysis and resource allocation.