Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths for 3D programming

1. Oct 11, 2003 #1
    I'm not sure where this goes, so if its wrong, please move it!

Anyway, I'm interested in 3D game/models programming, and i know that as it stands my maths knowledge is very difficient (i doubt stats will be of any use here).

If anyone could spare the time, could they have a peak through here and tell me what subjects are relavent?

Or maybe just tell me what kinds of topics i should be learning... thanks!

edit - i have no idea why that link was to the geosciences area , but is fixed now.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd say that the single most important subject you could take for 3d game design would be linear algebra. If you're going to be taking classes to get it, you'll probably need to take several pre-requisite courses first though.

My schools required calculus 1 and 2 before you could take Lin. Algebra.

If you're going to be studying on your own, you can probably get away with skipping the calculus. It's not needed for LA, but the subject requires a bit of mathematical sophistication, which is why they apply pre-req's to it.
  4. Oct 13, 2003 #3
    Thanks for that !

does that sound about right?
  5. Oct 13, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Knowing projective geometry is likely a must for 3D programming... unfortuately, I don't see it in the list.
  6. Oct 13, 2003 #5
    I have (tried) programming 3D games (i used Direct3D).
    Mainly, you will need to study physics more than math i would say :wink:.
    In math, you will need to have some experience in matrices (they are widely used in transformations), and you need to know about Vectors (they will be used to find out stuff like the Normal of a surface). And of course, you shuold know a little bit about 3D in general (like what perpendicular means in 3D, how 2 surfaces can share in a line .. etc).
    In physics, you will need to understand laws of motion, newton laws, collisions, and maybe energy conservation and shapes of energy.
    (this is what is on the top of my mind ATM).
  7. Oct 13, 2003 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really, everything in practiced 3D is matrices. You barely even really need to know how to derive the matrices, just how to use them.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?