1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths for Physics

1. Jan 4, 2008 #1
    What kind of mathematics do I need to learn in order to understand Gauge Theory and the Standard Model.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2008 #2

mjsd

Homework Helper

group theory (Lie groups in particular), a bit of representation theory, a bit on calculus of variation, to complex analysis and contour integration (from field theory)

4. Jan 4, 2008 #3
    Can you tell that in general which discipline is needed for which part of the theory so that I can have a more flexible approach. For example I've heard that 'strong interaction' can be explained with the help of Beta Function.

5. Jan 4, 2008 #4

pam

You need a broad math-physics background. You can't target the math.

6. Jan 4, 2008 #5

mjsd

Homework Helper

depending on what kind of research you do, you pretty much need everything that you have learned in the (under)graduate courses: from solving partial differential equations, linear analysis, topology, algebra, asymptotics, integral transforms, group theory, real and complex analysis, statistical mechanics, vector analysis...etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?