Maths in Computer Science?

1. As a person learning calculus, I always get frustrated by considering the practical applications of it. In an interview Larry Ellison said this about relational database programming:

"Relational database technology was invented by a guy by the name of Ted Codd at IBM. It's based on relational algebra and relational calculus. It is a very mathematically rigorous form of data management that we can prove mathematically to be functionally complete."

Could someone possibly explain or direct me towards where I can find out precisely how databases can be linked to calculus/maths?

Any input is much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. He is referring to to a different kind of calculus than the field you're thinking of. Googling either of the terms you listed will find you a definition, which will go a long way towards describing their applications in CS. Beyond that, you won't be able to do much without a background in logic.
  4. Thanks, will do so. Just to quickly ask, do you refer to a specific study of logic, or just logic in a more general sense?
  5. For computer science, you deal with a branch called Boolean Algebra. This study is VERY important because, without it, we wouldn't even have logic gates!

I don't know where you're at in your math/CS journey, so I'll leave you with the wikipedia article:

Good luck.
  6. Definitely the formal study of logic. Unfortunately, logic courses (beyond simple introductions) tend to be rare at most Universities.
  7. rcgldr

rcgldr 7,651
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

8. Relational databases are based on relations in set theory. A relation is a subset of the Cartesian product of a collection of sets. You can define all relational database operations in terms of operations on set theoretic relations.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?