Unlock Career Paths with a Maths Degree

In summary, a degree in mathematics could lead to a variety of jobs in industry, academia, or the financial services industry.
theperthvan
What sort of jobs could someone get if they got a degree in maths i.e BSc(Pure/Applied Maths)?
Apart from being a maths teacher, professor, researcher etc..., but more industry work?
Cheers,

Physics news on Phys.org
Accountant, actuary, management consultant, model things for BP, say, or any other industrial company, work for the met office, the office of national statistics, work for IBM or similar, the telecommunications industy employs mathematicians. The list is really quite long.

Qualify Matt G's advice somewhat?

matt grime said:
Accountant, actuary

There are special schools/exams for that kind of thing.
matt grime said:
model things for BP, say, or any other industrial company...work for IBM or similar, the telecommunications industy employs mathematicians

That is, Ph.D. mathematicians with a strong background in PDEs, information theory, etc., or programmers of proven ability who also know about those things.

matt grime said:
the office of national statistics

But they will probably want strong statistics and computer science background.

This might have come out wrong: I am trying to say that what degree(s) you have probably don't matter so much, but you would need to show evidence of strong ability in mathematical modeling, especially computer models.

This is based on my conversations with people who work at Boeing and elsewhere in aerospace in the U.S.; it was a bit of a shock to me to find that what people who actually work in industry say is important is quite different from what my math professors said was important!

I'd another important possibility: genomics. You can look for a printed talk by Eric Lander which attempts to recruit bright math majors into this field. But notice that again there is already a lot of specialized knowledge and expertise you'd probably need to demonstrate to be a competitite candidate.

Yet another possibility: the financial services industry employs some Ph.D. mathematicians who know about such things as stochastic differential equations; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-Scholes to get some impression.

It is important to understand that the number of mathematicians employed in industry is not as large as some would expect, compared to the number employed in academia. In my day, the AMS suppressed this fact, which did some of us a disservice.

Last edited:
the american mathematical society was right down the street from where i used to live, i always wondered what went on in that building.

Chris Hillman said:
There are special schools/exams for that (accountancy/actuary etc) kind of thing.

not in the UK... a good maths degree gets a very good foot in the door. Anderson, as used to be, for example, like to recruit direct from the maths graduates at Oxbridge. I had some very nice offers to go work in the City before I'd even completed the second year of my degree (in maths).
But they (office of national statistics) will probably want strong statistics and computer science background

what kind of degree in mathematics doesn't involve a firm grounding in statistics? Not one in the UK...

I also think you're overstating the need for a PhD. Certainly by UK standards. (and I'm not going to pander to the US market here: you don't say you're from the US then you're going to get advice from the UK.) The markets for people with maths degrees, outside of the obvious professional specialities, seem as saturated as any other similar market. Not that you'd want to do the jobs that might come your way. Heck, you could even do a law conversion course, at the expense of some company.

Last edited:
I'm from Australia. All advice is good.

The ABS runs a good grad program in Canberra.

I'm guessing you're in Perth, so there's the possibility of getting into geostatistics and going to work out Kalgoorlie or the Pilbara in resource evaluation as well. Petroleum companies up on the north-west shelf and SA/Tas are also always looking for people who have excellent computer modelling skills.

I only mention the mathematical geology because that's more or less what I do :) And with the current boom, there's certainly jobs!

1. What career options are available with a degree in Mathematics?

A degree in Mathematics can lead to a variety of career paths, including but not limited to: actuarial science, data analysis, financial analysis, research, teaching, and software development. Many employers value the critical thinking and problem-solving skills that come with a math degree, making it a versatile and in-demand field.

2. How can a Mathematics degree help me in my chosen career?

A degree in Mathematics can provide you with a strong foundation in analytical and logical thinking, as well as advanced mathematical concepts and techniques. These skills are highly transferable and can be applied to a wide range of industries and professions, giving you a competitive edge in the job market.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in Mathematics to pursue a career in this field?

While having a strong background in Mathematics is certainly beneficial, it is not always a requirement for pursuing a career in this field. Many employers value a combination of skills and experiences, and may provide on-the-job training for specific technical skills. However, a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts is necessary for success in most math-related careers.

4. Are there any specific skills or courses I should focus on while pursuing a Math degree?

While the exact skills and courses may vary depending on your intended career path, some common areas to focus on include: calculus, statistics, computer programming, and problem-solving. It is also beneficial to gain experience with software and tools commonly used in the field, such as Excel, MATLAB, or programming languages like Python.

5. What steps can I take to unlock different career paths with my Math degree?

To unlock different career paths with a Math degree, it is important to gain practical experience through internships, research projects, or part-time jobs in your desired field. Networking with professionals in the industry and staying updated on current trends and technologies can also help you explore and access different career opportunities. Additionally, consider pursuing a concentration or minor in a specific area of mathematics that aligns with your career goals.