What are the essential maths skills for studying physics?

• Thread starter Shan K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Shan K wants to learn calculus and algebra from the basics to fill in the gaps from not practicing enough, and recommends some great books from different areas of mathematics.
Shan K
Please help me .
I am in great denger .
I am a student of Physics Major . But My mathematics is very poor . But I want to rectify these gaps . So can please tell me some basic books or tutorial on calculus, algebra, trigonometry, geometry, Differential Equation and Statistics.
I am facing really big problem in my study of physics .
I want really basic book where all the theorems and relations are derived.
Please help me.
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I will try.The following is a comment I heard early in university that helped me some.
" Numerical data comes in many forms, most often it's form is not readily usable.
algebra is a methodology for converting numbers from an unusable form to a usable form,
and being assured of your result."
Don't look at the math just for the sake of math, but as a more accurate way to
describe the world around you.

Likes 1 person
Shan K said:
Please help me .
I am in great denger .
I am a student of Physics Major . But My mathematics is very poor . But I want to rectify these gaps . So can please tell me some basic books or tutorial on calculus, algebra, trigonometry, geometry, Differential Equation and Statistics.
I am facing really big problem in my study of physics .
I want really basic book where all the theorems and relations are derived.
Please help me.
Thanks in advance

Please read this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=665434

Zz.

Likes 1 person
johnbbahm said:
I will try.The following is a comment I heard early in university that helped me some.
" Numerical data comes in many forms, most often it's form is not readily usable.
algebra is a methodology for converting numbers from an unusable form to a usable form,
and being assured of your result."
Don't look at the math just for the sake of math, but as a more accurate way to
describe the world around you.

I know johnbbahm. And that's why I want to know it in more detailed way . I do maths because I really think that it is a language by which physics talk and I love it very much but due to some reason I couldn't able to get it . One of the reason is lack of practice . But now I want to start it from the basic to fill the gaps that is grown in me . so please help me. i want to know from the very first .

Shan K,
Some brilliant books that I have on the shelf next to me that I love to recommended are:
Calculus - An intuitive and Physical approach by: Kline
Technical Calculus and Analytical Geometry by: Gersting

These books focus on single variable, but are still excellent. For the most part
DOVER publishers publish a large number of excellent maths books ranging from algebra to differential equations and beyond. Hope this helps.

Likes 1 person

What is the relationship between math and physics?

The relationship between math and physics is very close, as math is the language of physics. Many concepts and theories in physics can only be fully understood and expressed using mathematical equations and formulas.

What are the most important mathematical concepts for understanding physics?

The most important mathematical concepts for understanding physics include calculus, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the motion of objects, the forces acting on them, and other fundamental principles in physics.

Do I need to be good at math to study physics?

While a strong aptitude for math can certainly be helpful in studying physics, it is not the only factor. Many physics concepts can be visualized and understood without advanced math skills. However, a basic understanding of math is necessary to excel in physics courses.

Can I learn physics without a strong background in math?

It is possible to learn the basics of physics without a strong background in math, but it may be difficult to fully understand and apply more complex concepts without a solid foundation in math. It is recommended to have at least a basic understanding of algebra and geometry before studying physics.

What resources are available for learning the mathematical concepts needed for physics?

There are many resources available for learning the mathematical concepts needed for physics, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is also helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling with a particular concept.