1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths Needed for physics

1. Aug 20, 2013 #1
    Please help me .
    I am in great denger .
    I am a student of Physics Major . But My mathematics is very poor . But I want to rectify these gaps . So can please tell me some basic books or tutorial on calculus, algebra, trigonometry, geometry, Differential Equation and Statistics.
    I am facing really big problem in my study of physics .
    I want really basic book where all the theorems and relations are derived.
    Please help me.
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2013 #2
    I will try.The following is a comment I heard early in university that helped me some.
    " Numerical data comes in many forms, most often it's form is not readily usable.
    algebra is a methodology for converting numbers from an unusable form to a usable form,
    and being assured of your result."
    Don't look at the math just for the sake of math, but as a more accurate way to
    describe the world around you.

4. Aug 20, 2013 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please read this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=665434

Zz.

5. Aug 20, 2013 #4
    I know johnbbahm. And thats why I want to know it in more detailed way . I do maths because I really think that it is a language by which physics talk and I love it very much but due to some reason I couldn't able to get it . One of the reason is lack of practice . But now I want to start it from the basic to fill the gaps that is grown in me . so please help me. i want to know from the very first .

6. Aug 21, 2013 #5
    Shan K,
    Some brilliant books that I have on the shelf next to me that I love to recommended are:
    Calculus - An intuitive and Physical approach by: Kline
    Technical Calculus and Analytical Geometry by: Gersting

These books focus on single variable, but are still excellent. For the most part
    DOVER publishers publish a large number of excellent maths books ranging from algebra to differential equations and beyond. Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook