Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths needed to study QM and GR?

1. Apr 10, 2004 #1
    What Maths subjects should I study to understand Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2004 #2
    As far as I know, in order to fully understand GR, you might want to take a Tensor Analysis Class, along with a differential geometry class. For QM, i think you basically the mathematics required when you are learning it.

4. Apr 10, 2004 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For GR you need tensor analysis, differential geometry, and for a sufficiently sophisticated course, topology.

For QM you need differential equations, linear algebra, and group theory.

5. Apr 10, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hilbert spaces wouldn't go amiss and if you want to look to the future then category theory too.

6. Apr 10, 2004 #5
    Where does one use topology in general relativity?

7. Apr 10, 2004 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Apr 13, 2004 #7
    Tensor geometry, diff topology, and functional analysis are very broad subjects. A lot of what you study in a strict maths class you won't really use in physics. Generally the mathematics you need will be taught in the physics class.

Of course, if you have an interest in doing further work/research in mathematical physics then doing the extra maths is very helpful because you may find interesting applications.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?