1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths notation

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1

Homework Helper

This is probably a dumb question but what does the circle through the integral sign mean?

I was thinking perhaps it could denote either the line integral over a closed curve, or the surface integral over a closed surface, depending on the context. But it seems the textbook I use employ that notation even when the line/surface integral is not over a closed curve/surface.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that symbol means the integral over a closed curve. I've never seen it used for the surface integral over a closed surface but I guess it could be. I would be very surprised if a textbook used that to indicate an integral over a curve that was NOT closed. Could you give an example of that?
  4. Jul 21, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

Ok this is from the 7th Edn of Engineering Electromagnetics by William Hayt and John Buck, pg 212 in the chapter on time-invariant magnetic fields:

I suppose that it might be explained that the current I would be flowing in a closed circuit and hence a closed path. But what is the interpretation of [tex]\oint[/tex] as applied to surface integrals? Must it be a closed surface?
  5. Jul 21, 2008 #4
    I've seen that in Gauss's Law:

[tex]\oint E\! dA = Q / \epsilon_o[/tex]

And, yes, to my understanding it must be a closed surface.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?