Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths options for engineering

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    hi im still at high school, next year im yr13 and im taking calculas but not the other maths option 'modelling and stats' is this a good idea or do i need to take it to be a ME or structual engineer? thanks:smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't worry dude, the pain will come later anyways despites how you do in high school.

The truth is out there.
  4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    Been watching too much x-files lately clausius. :rofl:
  5. Dec 5, 2006 #4
    Maths option for engineering

From what i know, u do not need "modelling and stats" to get into mechanical or structural engineering. I have not used any statistics in engineering so far. Only lots of mechanics and statics.
  6. Dec 5, 2006 #5

Science Advisor

No statistics? Did I hear you correctly that you have not used any statistics? Have you ever done a linear regression? Have you done any work in which you took data? If not, you soon will. You most certainly need a basic understanding of probability and statistics to perform as an engineer.

As far as the OP is concerned, don't worry too much about it yet. If you are taking a basic calc class, you're doing fine. You will have plenty of opportunities to fill up your schedule with math classes.
  7. Dec 5, 2006 #6
    That's right. I haven't done any linear regressions before. Not even in my college years. I only learnt some fundamental stats during that time. But for my course in mechanical engineering, it's more important to know mechanics, dynamics and statics.
  8. Dec 6, 2006 #7
    Have you ever fitted a curve or straight line to a set of data?

Did you study random vibration in dynamics?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?