Maths Prep for Physics Degree: Tips from a Mature-Age Student

• Thread starter yesterdaysjam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Preparation
In summary, the conversation discusses the types of mathematics encountered in a 1st year physics degree and the concern of struggling with math due to not having studied it in a while. The individual plans to teach themselves before the start of the semester and asks for advice on learning calculus. The conversation also touches on age and potential discrimination in the scientific community. The participants mention the laws in Australia and the US regarding age discrimination.
yesterdaysjam
Hey there.

Can anyone tell me the types of mathematics you encounter in a 1st year physics degree. I haven't opened a maths book since high school, which was about 5 years ago, and I was by no means a math whizz back in school. I'm going to choose basic math units to ease me back into it but I'm worried I'll still struggle, so I've decided to teach myself as much as I can before the start of semester next year.

Also I'm 22 and going in as a (not-so)mature age student... does this this seem too late to begin a degree and potentially a career in physics?

Thanks,
Justin.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is your physics class calculus-based? If so, Calc I and II will be utilized heavily. If not you'll have to do things the hard, algebraic way.

Hey fss here's the general outline of the units involved in the physics major at my university:

http://www.physics.mq.edu.au/current/undergraduate/required/Recom_Physics.pdf"

Before I start, though, I'll be doing the MATH130 unit which is a prerequisite for the MATH135 unit in the 1st semester:

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/math130d.html"

Do you think I should focus on learning the basics of calculus? I intend to learn as much as I can during the four month holiday break in between semesters, so any resources and knowledge that you can share would be a massive help.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Math 130 course description says it introduces you to calculus, so that should be fine. It never hurts to read ahead; just search for "calculus basics" or pick up a book if you're looking to read in advance.

Excellent.

Thanks for your time fss.

EDIT: Also what are your views on starting at 22? Do employers look for younger university graduates or is there no difference?

yesterdaysjam said:
EDIT: Also what are your views on starting at 22? Do employers look for younger university graduates or is there no difference?

Can't speak for anyone else, but when I've looked for employees in the past their resume (which does not include birth date) is what gets them to the next step of the process. It's usually illegal to discriminate against someone based on their age.

fss said:
It's usually illegal to discriminate against someone based on their age.

In the US it's legal (but highly questionable!) to discriminate by age against persons under the age of 40.

CRGreathouse said:
In the US it's legal (but highly questionable!) to discriminate by age against persons under the age of 40.
I'll have to look into the laws in Australia but I can't see them being much different to the US. I was hoping the scientific community would be a little more accomodating when it came to things such as age, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

yesterdaysjam said:
I'll have to look into the laws in Australia but I can't see them being much different to the US. I was hoping the scientific community would be a little more accomodating when it came to things such as age, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I'd be surprised if any other country did it like the US does. It's a silly system...

Well I know here we have the Equal Employment Opportuniy law which basically states that it's illegal to discriminate via race, sex, age etc. I think it might even state that the more disadvantaged person should get the job providing both candidates are equally qualified. But in saying that discrimination still happens here and it's quite hard to prove that someone was being discriminated against.

1. How important is having a strong foundation in math before pursuing a physics degree?

Having a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in a physics degree. Physics is heavily based on mathematical concepts and equations, so it is important to have a solid understanding of math fundamentals before diving into physics courses.

2. As a mature-age student, is it too late for me to improve my math skills?

It is never too late to improve your math skills. As a mature-age student, you may have to put in more effort and time compared to younger students, but with dedication and practice, you can definitely improve your math skills.

3. What are some effective ways to prepare for math in a physics degree?

Some effective ways to prepare for math in a physics degree include reviewing fundamental concepts, practicing problems regularly, seeking help from tutors or professors, and utilizing online resources such as videos and practice quizzes.

4. How can I balance my time between math and physics courses?

Balancing time between math and physics courses can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make a study schedule and allocate enough time for both subjects, and don't be afraid to seek help if you are struggling with either subject.

5. Are there any specific math topics I should focus on for a physics degree?

Some important math topics for a physics degree include calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is also beneficial to have a strong understanding of trigonometry, geometry, and algebra. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the specific math requirements for your physics degree.