1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths problem

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1
    Bob has £140 to spend on paving slabs for his patio garden. Paving slabs are 70 x 70 cm
    square and cost £2.80 each. He finds that, using whole slabs, he is only able to buy
    enough to lay an area which is twice as long as it is wide but will not cover the whole patio.
    He decides to leave the remainder as a rectangular flower bed down one side.

If his patio garden is 5 m wide, how wide is the flower bed?

A 1.4 m

B 1.5 m

C 2.0 m

D 3.5 m

E 7.0 m

I am struggling with the question above - can anyone please advise me on how to tackle it? The correct answer is B.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How many slabs can he buy at most?
    Suppose the width of the covered area is x tiles, can you think of an equation for x that mathematically describes the third sentence? (Or, if you want, you can let x be the width, of the tiling -- that is equivalent).

And yes, the correct answer is B.

4. Nov 1, 2008 #3
    Thanks alot for the reply! I understand the problem now, your help is very much appreciated!

Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?