1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths question

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    How can dn be made the subject in the following equation?

It = Io sin2 x 4 x theta x sin2 (pi x dn x p / lambda)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex]I_t= I_0 sin(2) 4\theta sin^2(\pi d_n p/\lambda)[/itex]?
    I am assuming that the first sin2 is sin(2) rather than [itex]sin^2[/itex] because sin (and so [itex]sin^2[/itex] is a <b>function</b> not a number and does not make sense if not applied to some number.

You start just the way I'm sure you have learned before: since the [itex]d_n[/itex] you want to solve for is inside the [itex]sin^2[/itex] you first divide both sides by every thing multiplying that: [itex]\frac{I_t}{4 sin(2)\theta} = sin^2(\pi dn p/\lambda)

Now get rid of the square by doing the opposite of that: take the square root of each side to get [itex]\sqrt{\frac{I_t}{4 sin(2)\theta}}= sin(\pi dn p/\lamba)[/itex]

Now get rid of the sin by doing <b>its</b> opposite: arcsine or [itex]sin^{-1}[/itex] (which is NOT sin to the negative one power!):
    [itex]sin^{-1}(\sqrt{\frac{I_t}{4 sin(2)\theta}})= \pi dn p/\lambda[/itex]

Finally, multiply both sides by [itex]\lambda[/itex] and divide both sides by [itex]\pi p[/itex].
  4. Oct 15, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

Both sins are sin ^ 2. Would this make a difference?
  5. Oct 15, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In that case, we don't understand the problem. The following string of symbols:
    [tex]I_t= I_0 sin^2()\cdot 4\theta sin^2(\pi d_n p/\lambda)[/tex]
    does not form a well-defined equation because there's nothing in the (). What did you actually mean? Perhaps
    [tex]I_t= I_0 sin^2\left(4\theta sin^2(\pi d_n p/\lambda)\right)[/tex]?
  6. Oct 15, 2008 #5

thanks for the reply. it is (4 x theta) sin ^ 2
  7. Oct 16, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean it is really It= Iosin^2(4 theta) sin^2(pi dn p/lambda)? Even easier. First divide both sides by Iosin^2(4 theta) to get
    It/(Io sin^2(4 theta))= sin^2(pi dn p/lambda)

Take square roots:
    sqrt(It/(Io sin^2(4 theta)))= sin(pi dn p/lambda)
    Take the inverse sine of each side
    arcsin(sqrt(It/(Io sin^2(4 theta)))= pi dn p/lambda
    and finally, divide both sides by pi d/lambda

lambda arcsin(sqrt(It/Io sin^2(4 theta)))/(pi p)= dn.
  8. Nov 1, 2008 #7
    Hi. Thanks for the previous input. how would theta be made the subject? any input is appreciated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?