1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths Question

1. Aug 28, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    I may not be thinking straight or something, and im having trouble with this question, please help!:

Given that 'p' is real, find the set of values of 'p' for which the roots of:
    (2p+1)x^2 - 10x + p-2 = 0
    a) Are real
    b) Have a sum>5

Im thinking along the lines of: alpha+beta = -b/a and alpha x beta = c/a however I end up with 10/(2p+1) and (p-2)/(2p+1) respectively, which I cant work out simultaneously (2 equations for 3 variables).. Maybe im making something really stupid but please help.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT: (a) findthe roots using the quadratic formula.

(b) use the discriminant for the first condition.

(c) add the roots for the second condition.

4. Aug 28, 2005 #3
    Ahh thanks a ton! Don't know why I ignored those possibilities...
    Whilst we are on the topic, hehe, how would you draw 4<(x-4)^2 + (y-3)^2 <25 on a number plane? I can draw it on a cartesian graph using (x-4)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 25 and (x-4)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 4 but am confused as to how to transform this onto a simple number plane.. any hints there?

5. Aug 28, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That looks like a circle centered on (4, 3) and its radius is between 2 and 5.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?