Solving a Quadratic Equation: Find Real Values of 'p

In summary, We are given a quadratic equation with a real variable 'p'. The task is to find the set of values of 'p' for which the roots are real and have a sum greater than 5. The hint given is to use the quadratic formula to find the roots and the discriminant for the first condition. For the second condition, we need to add the roots. Finally, in drawing the inequality 4<(x-4)^2 + (y-3)^2 <25 on a number plane, it can be represented as a circle centered on (4, 3) with a radius between 2 and 5.
Solidmozza
Hi,
I may not be thinking straight or something, and I am having trouble with this question, please help!:

Given that 'p' is real, find the set of values of 'p' for which the roots of:
(2p+1)x^2 - 10x + p-2 = 0
a) Are real
b) Have a sum>5

Im thinking along the lines of: alpha+beta = -b/a and alpha x beta = c/a however I end up with 10/(2p+1) and (p-2)/(2p+1) respectively, which I can't work out simultaneously (2 equations for 3 variables).. Maybe I am making something really stupid but please help.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: (a) findthe roots using the quadratic formula.

(b) use the discriminant for the first condition.

(c) add the roots for the second condition.

Ahh thanks a ton! Don't know why I ignored those possibilities...
Whilst we are on the topic, hehe, how would you draw 4<(x-4)^2 + (y-3)^2 <25 on a number plane? I can draw it on a cartesian graph using (x-4)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 25 and (x-4)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 4 but am confused as to how to transform this onto a simple number plane.. any hints there?

That looks like a circle centered on (4, 3) and its radius is between 2 and 5.

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical expression of the form ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a polynomial equation of degree 2 and can be solved to find the values of x that make the equation true.

Why is it important to solve quadratic equations?

Solving quadratic equations is important in various fields of mathematics, science, and engineering. It allows us to find the roots or solutions to a problem, which can be used to solve real-world problems such as calculating projectile motion, finding optimal solutions in economics, and determining the maximum or minimum values of a function.

What is the process for solving a quadratic equation?

The process for solving a quadratic equation involves using the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b² - 4ac)) / 2a. First, check if the equation is in the standard form (ax² + bx + c = 0) and identify the values of a, b, and c. Then, plug these values into the formula and simplify to find the solutions for x.

What are the different types of solutions for a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation can have two types of solutions: real solutions and complex solutions. Real solutions are values of x that are real numbers, while complex solutions are values of x that involve imaginary numbers. The type of solutions depends on the discriminant (b² - 4ac) of the equation.

How can quadratic equations be used in real life?

Quadratic equations have various real-life applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, finding the optimal solution for a business problem, and determining the maximum or minimum values of a function. They are also used in engineering, physics, and economics to model and solve real-world problems.