Calculating Probability and Variance for Randomly Opened Tins

• Thread starter jinx007
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating probability and creating a probability distribution table for a random variable X, which represents the number of tins opened until a tin of peaches is found. The conversation also mentions finding the variance of X. The solution involves finding the probabilities of finding a peach tin on the first, second, third, and fourth try, and creating a table with these probabilities. The total probability should equal 1.
jinx007
I am having problem to calculate some probability...please help me and explain to me how you get the answer

In order to use the labels in a competition a housewife removes the labels from 3 tins of tomato soup and from 4 tins of peaches, but forget to mark the tins which, without their labels are all identical. The housewife opens successive tins, chosen at random, looking for a tin of peaches. The random variable X denotes the number of tins opened up to and including the first tin of peaches.

Tabulate the probability distribution of X and show that var(X) = 16/25

Please help me i just don't know where to start..

Physics news on Phys.org
Question says we must draw up a probability distribution table of X = the number of tins one must open to get a peach. So let's start at that...

Say X = 1. So, we need to find the probability that in the very first try we open a peach tin. Can you find this?

When X = 2, we need the probability that the first tin we opened was NOT peach, but the second tin was.

For X = 3, find probability that the first two tins opened were tomatos, and the third one was peach...and so on

Similarly, you find all the probabilities, till X = 4 (Why 4??)

Then draw a table. That is your answer. Then find var(X) with the formula.

praharmitra said:
Question says we must draw up a probability distribution table of X = the number of tins one must open to get a peach. So let's start at that...

Say X = 1. So, we need to find the probability that in the very first try we open a peach tin. Can you find this?

When X = 2, we need the probability that the first tin we opened was NOT peach, but the second tin was.

For X = 3, find probability that the first two tins opened were tomatos, and the third one was peach...and so on

Similarly, you find all the probabilities, till X = 4 (Why 4??)

Then draw a table. That is your answer. Then find var(X) with the formula.

Hmmmm i understand it partially. But i think that if my table is correct that is the total probability = 1 so i can manage the variance

for the probability of of getting 1 peach tin

P(x=1) = (4/7)

Getting it on the 2nd trial
P(x=2) = ( 3/7 x 4/6) = (2/7)

Getting it on the 3th trial
P(x=3) = ( 3/7 x 2/6 x 4/5) = (4/35)

Getting it on the fourth trial
P(x=4) = ( 3/7 x 2/6 x 1/5 x 4/4) = (1/35)

SO adding all the probability give me 1 (So my answer must be correct..hehehe

correct

1. What is the difference between discrete and continuous data in mathematics?

Discrete data is data that can only take on specific, separate values, while continuous data can take on any value within a certain range. In other words, discrete data is counted data, while continuous data is measured data.

2. What are some common examples of discrete data in statistics?

Some common examples of discrete data include the number of students in a class, the number of pets in a household, the number of cars in a parking lot, and the number of siblings a person has.

3. How is probability used in discrete mathematics?

In discrete mathematics, probability is used to calculate the likelihood of a specific outcome occurring. This can be done through various methods, such as counting techniques and probability distributions.

4. What is the importance of understanding discrete mathematics in statistics?

Discrete mathematics is the foundation of many statistical concepts, such as counting principles, probability, and data analysis. Understanding discrete mathematics is crucial for accurately interpreting and analyzing data in statistics.

5. How can discrete data be visualized in statistics?

Discrete data can be visualized using bar graphs, pie charts, and histograms. These visual aids help to display the frequency or proportion of each category in the data set.