1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths Trigonometry Problem

1. Apr 29, 2004 #1
    In the figure, EA=EB=EC and AB = 200 m. Angle BCA = 30 degrees. Find angle AEB. Anyone can help me?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2004 #2

Diane_

Homework Helper

Start it as a pure geometry problem - sketch the figure, and note that you have three isosceles triangles there. Given that the base angles of an isosceles triangle are congruent, you can find three pairs of congruent angles. Working with these angles (some of which overlap), it turns out to be relatively easy to figure out the measure of angle EBC. From there, the rest of the angles in the bottom triangle can be known. After that, the problem actually gets very easy.

Hope this helps.

4. Apr 30, 2004 #3
    I have tried but I am still in confusion. Would Diane give me more hints please?

5. Apr 30, 2004 #4

Diane_

Homework Helper

Ok

Your three isosceles triangles are AEB, BEC, and AEC. Call the base angles for AEB x, the base angles for BEC y, and the base angles for AEC z. We know that the measure of ACB is 30, so from the diagram we can see that 30 + z = y. Again, from the diagram, the measure of CAB is x - z, and the sum of the interior angles of triangle ABC is, of course, 180. This gives us that x-z + x + y + 30 = 180, or 2x + y - z = 150.

Substitute the first relation into the second and you end up with a single equation in one unknown for x. This will tell you something about triangle EAB.

Try it from there. :)

6. May 1, 2004 #5
    Thank you very much for your help, Diane! I have solved the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?