The Best Maths Websites: PlanetMath.org Reviews

• Thread starter gel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Websites
In summary, PlanetMath.org is an online community and resource for mathematics enthusiasts, offering a vast collection of mathematical concepts, definitions, theorems, and proofs. It is a collaborative platform where users can contribute and edit content, making it a constantly evolving and reliable source for mathematical information. It can be a valuable resource for students of all levels, providing comprehensive topics and a diverse range of perspectives. PlanetMath.org is a reliable source for mathematical information, with content contributed and edited by a community of mathematicians. Anyone can contribute to the website, but all submissions are subject to review. PlanetMath.org is free to use, but donations are accepted to cover operating costs.
gel
Does anyone have any opinion on the best maths websites availiable?
I was thinking of something which gives an extensive coverage of all the main subject areas, provides detailed proofs, and is open to user contributions. http://planetmath.org/" seems to be the best place. Do people here use this, and are there alternatives around?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PlanetMath is probably the best of the lot. There's Wikipedia too, but I personally am not a fan of it.

I am always on the lookout for reliable and comprehensive resources for mathematics. I have not personally used PlanetMath.org, but based on the features you have described, it does seem like a promising website for mathematical content. It is always beneficial to have a platform that not only covers a wide range of subject areas, but also allows for user contributions and detailed proofs.

In terms of alternatives, there are many other reputable websites that offer similar features such as Wolfram MathWorld, Math-Net, and MathOverflow. It ultimately depends on the specific needs and preferences of the user. I would recommend trying out a few different websites and seeing which one best fits your needs. Additionally, it can be helpful to seek recommendations from other mathematicians or researchers in the field.

Overall, having access to reliable and comprehensive online resources for mathematics is crucial for the advancement of scientific research and understanding. I encourage you to continue exploring and utilizing different websites to find the best fit for your mathematical needs.

1. What is PlanetMath.org?

PlanetMath.org is an online community and resource for mathematics enthusiasts, providing a vast collection of mathematical concepts, definitions, theorems, and proofs. It is a collaborative platform where users can contribute and edit content, making it a constantly evolving and reliable source for mathematical information.

2. How can PlanetMath.org benefit me as a student?

PlanetMath.org can be a valuable resource for students of all levels, from elementary school to graduate studies. It offers a comprehensive collection of mathematical topics, making it a useful reference for homework and exam preparation. Additionally, the collaborative aspect of the website allows for a diverse range of perspectives and explanations, aiding in better understanding of complex concepts.

3. Is PlanetMath.org a reliable source for mathematical information?

Yes, PlanetMath.org is a reliable source for mathematical information. The content on the website is contributed and edited by a community of mathematicians and mathematical enthusiasts, ensuring its accuracy and validity. However, it is always recommended to cross-check information with other reputable sources.

4. Can I contribute to PlanetMath.org?

Yes, anyone can contribute to PlanetMath.org by creating an account and submitting content. However, all contributions are subject to review and approval by the community to maintain the website's high standards of accuracy and quality.

5. Are there any fees to use PlanetMath.org?

No, PlanetMath.org is completely free to use. It is a non-profit organization and relies on donations to cover its operating costs. As a user, you can contribute to the website by making a donation or by contributing content.