Finding DFT and DTFT of 12-Point Sequence with MatLab

In summary, the conversation discusses using Matlab to find the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) and discrete-time Fourier transform (DTFT) for a given 12-point sequence. The speaker also mentions wanting to graphically show the relationship between the two using Matlab, but is not familiar with the syntax. There are also two additional individuals seeking help with the same question.
louie
I'm considering the 12 –point sequence x[n] which is defined as x[n] = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1}.

I'd like to use Matlab to find the DFT (X[k] of x[n]) and DTFT (X(e^jw) of x[n]).

I realize that the DFT is sampled version of DTFT, and I want to show this graphically using Matlab, but I'm not too familar with Matlab's syntax.

Thanks in advance,

Louie

Physics news on Phys.org
I need help on the exact same question as well. Can any1 help?

hi. i got the same problem. i don't know why your question has become my assignment question and how my prof came across it.

1. What is DFT and DTFT?

DFT (Discrete Fourier Transform) and DTFT (Discrete Time Fourier Transform) are mathematical tools used to analyze and transform signals in the frequency domain. DFT is applied to discrete signals, while DTFT is used for continuous signals.

2. What is the difference between DFT and DTFT?

The main difference between DFT and DTFT is that DFT is applied to discrete signals, meaning that the input signal is sampled at equally spaced intervals. DTFT, on the other hand, is used for continuous signals and is applied to a signal that is defined for all values of time.

3. How is the DFT and DTFT calculated?

The DFT and DTFT can be calculated using a mathematical formula that involves taking the discrete or continuous signal and multiplying it by a complex exponential function at different frequencies. This process is repeated for all frequencies to obtain the frequency domain representation of the signal.

4. Why is MatLab used for finding the DFT and DTFT of a 12-point sequence?

MatLab is a popular software tool used for scientific computing and data analysis. It has built-in functions and algorithms specifically designed for calculating DFT and DTFT, making it a convenient and efficient choice for finding the frequency domain representation of a signal.

5. What is the significance of finding the DFT and DTFT of a 12-point sequence?

The DFT and DTFT of a 12-point sequence provide valuable information about the frequency components present in the signal. This can be useful in various applications such as signal processing, communications, and control systems. It allows for further analysis and manipulation of the signal in the frequency domain.