Learning MATLAB - A Guide to Tutorials and Books

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for up-to-date MATLAB books for beginners, as well as alternative resources such as online tutorials and PDF versions of the documentation. The importance of being able to actively use the software to effectively learn it is also mentioned, with a recommendation for two free online books by Cleve Moler and the option of purchasing the student version for $50.
Tone L
Hi,

I saw some threads about MATLAB books already but the seemed a little outdated ~2008. I was curious to know if there was any good books to read as a tutorial of matlab. Potentially a pdf online would be cool as well.

One thing too is I won't be taking the course at school until September therefore i don't have access to the MATLAB software so a book intensively having you use it wouldn't be good...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Really the only way to learn it is to use it. Aside from that, there are plenty of lessons online, but a textbook wouldn't be very useful unless you can actually do the code yourself. The student version is only 50$ if you plan on getting it.

Likes Tone L

1. What is MATLAB and why is it important for scientists?

MATLAB is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific research and data analysis. It allows scientists to perform complex mathematical calculations, visualize and analyze data, and create algorithms for various applications. MATLAB is important for scientists because it streamlines and automates repetitive tasks, reduces human error, and provides a powerful platform for data analysis and visualization.

2. Where can I find tutorials and resources to learn MATLAB?

There are many online resources available for learning MATLAB, including official tutorials and documentation from MathWorks (the company behind MATLAB), video tutorials on YouTube, and online courses from platforms like Coursera and Udemy. Additionally, many universities and research institutions offer workshops and classes on MATLAB for their students and researchers.

3. Do I need programming experience to learn MATLAB?

No, you do not need prior programming experience to learn MATLAB. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts like variables, loops, and conditional statements can be helpful in understanding MATLAB syntax and writing efficient code.

4. Are there any recommended books for learning MATLAB?

Yes, there are several books that are highly recommended for learning MATLAB, such as "MATLAB: A Practical Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving" by Stormy Attaway and "Essential MATLAB for Engineers and Scientists" by Brian Hahn and Daniel Valentine. These books provide a comprehensive introduction to MATLAB and its applications in various scientific fields.

5. Can MATLAB be used for any type of scientific research?

Yes, MATLAB can be used for a wide range of scientific research, including but not limited to mathematics, physics, engineering, biology, and economics. It is a versatile tool that can be adapted to different research needs and has a large user community constantly developing new applications and toolboxes for various fields.