Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab concatenation

Tags:
  1. Jul 22, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

Hello,

I am curious why the following concatenation is not working the way I thought it would.

Code (Text):
    B = [0 5 1; 2 4 3]

B =

0     5     1
         2     4     3
    Code (Text):
    B([1 2], [1 3])

ans =

0     1
         2     3
    I don't really understand what this command is extracting from the matrix and how it is arranging it. It looks like B([1 2]) gets the 1st and 2nd element of B, but then the [1 3] part is not the 1st and 3rd element.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The notation means B (a list of rows , a list of columns).

So if the original matrix was ##\begin{matrix} b_{11} & b_{12} & b_{13} \\ b_{21} & b_{22} & b_{23} \end{matrix}##, you are selecting rows 1 and 2, and columns 1 and 3, which is
    ##\begin{matrix} b_{11} & b_{13} \\ b_{21} & b_{23} \end{matrix}##

Note you can select rows and columns in any order, so B([2 1], [3 2]) would give ##\begin{matrix} b_{23} & b_{22} \\ b_{13} & b_{12} \end{matrix}##

There is an example with a picture here: http://www.mathworks.co.uk/company/newsletters/articles/matrix-indexing-in-matlab.html

4. Jul 22, 2014 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

Thanks, and great example. That is really tricky when you do everything backwards like that. I see how that one is, and I see the algorithm for how to insert into the matrix. I get conceptually now, but the algorithm can be a backup in case I have a blank out on the exam.

B([2 1], [3 2]) = ##b_{23}##
    B([2 1], [3 2]) = ##b_{22}##
    B([2 1], [3 2]) = ##b_{13}##
    B([2 1], [3 2]) = ##b_{12}##

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook