1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matlab curvefitting query?

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I am a second year University student in the UK. I am trying to plan my labs and as part of this am trying to work out how I use MATLAB to do some curve fitting. What I wish to do is to get some points and for matlab to find me an equation of this curve to a reasonable degree of accuracy. I then need to square this function and finally to integrate it over some limits.

However I have looked up how to do this in a couple of books in my university library and have so far been unable to complete even the first part of this task. In the books which I found on this I am told to use the 'Basic Fitting' function. However the version of matlab which I have only has the Curve fitting tool, which does not appear to give me an equation but merely draws a pretty line for me, after around three hours of playing around this is getting somewhat tiresome.

Note - the sample data which I have been trying to use can be downloaded from: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~ppzwm/downloadsindex.htm and clicking on the g_of_f.mat link under the Johnson Noise heading. I need to generate the function of g(f). However I would rather that you told me how to do this rather than just providing me with the answer as I have to do this again independently.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2
    Hey can someone please give me some pointers for this. I need to have this figured out by tomorrow.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?