How to Remove Rows from a Two Column List in MATLAB: Step-by-Step Guide

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter hoffmann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the conversation discusses the task of removing rows from a two-column list if a number from another list is found in the row. The speaker is looking for a short MATLAB script to accomplish this task and has provided a prior implementation in Python as a potential alternative. They mention the use of numpy and scipy for faster computation.
hoffmann
hi all,

i have a list of numbers as follows (list1):

and a two column list of numbers as follows (list2):

1 13
4 9
22 26
33 740
55 1234

the task i want to accomplish is as follows:
if a number from list1 is found in a row in list2, i would like to remove that row from list2. in the above example the numbers 22, 26, 4, and 740 are found in both columns of list2 and i would like to remove rows 2, 3, and 4 of list2. how would i do this in a short MATLAB script?

thanks!

i also have the following code from a prior implementation, but this only works for 2 column arrays. any help would be much appreciated!

kill=[];
for i=1:length(list1)
if list1(i,1) == list2(i,2)
kill = [kill i];
end
end

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm of no help to you on Matlab but I thought I'd show a Python alternative on the chance that you will have the option to use in the future. Python plus its plugin packages numpy and scipy are increasing used for scientific computing and they're free.

The third line here is called a http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0202/" in python
Code:
l1=[22, 26, 51, 4, 740]
l2=[[1, 13], [4, 9], [22, 26], [33, 740], [55, 1234]]
[row for row in l2 if row[0] not in l1 and row[1] not in l1]

[B][[1, 13], [55, 1234]] [/B]

or one can break out the list into more familia for - if - repeat iterations on separate lines. In either case the python run time machine has to iterate over the list (as does Matlab IIR). Numpy/Scipy provide array/vector methods in which the iteration is done in compiled C code and is thus much faster.
http://www.scipy.org/SciPy

Last edited by a moderator:

I would first commend the poster for providing a clear and specific task they would like to accomplish, as well as the effort they have already made to find a solution. I would then suggest the following steps to remove rows from a two column list in MATLAB:

1. Create a new list (list3) that contains only the first column of list2.
2. Use the "ismember" function to compare list1 with list3, which will return a logical array indicating which elements from list1 are also present in list3.
3. Use this logical array to index list2 and remove the corresponding rows using the "logical indexing" method.
4. The final code could look something like this:

list3 = list2(:,1); %creates a new list with only the first column of list2
logical_arr = ismember(list1, list3); %compares list1 with list3 and returns a logical array
list2(logical_arr,:) = []; %removes rows from list2 using logical indexing

I would also suggest looking into the "intersect" function, which can also be used to identify common elements between two arrays. Overall, it is important to carefully consider the data structures and functions available in MATLAB in order to find the most efficient and effective solution.

1. How do I remove a specific row from a two column list in MATLAB?

To remove a specific row from a two column list in MATLAB, you can use the ismember() function to find the index of the row you want to remove and then use the setdiff() function to remove that row from the list. Alternatively, you can use the find() function to find the indices of the rows you want to remove and then use indexing to remove those rows from the list.

2. How can I remove all rows in a two column list that meet a specific condition?

To remove all rows in a two column list that meet a specific condition, you can use the logical indexing technique. First, create a logical array that identifies the rows that meet the condition. Then, use this logical array to index into the list and remove the corresponding rows.

3. Is there a way to remove duplicate rows from a two column list in MATLAB?

Yes, you can use the unique() function to remove duplicate rows from a two column list in MATLAB. This function returns the unique values in the list, so if there are duplicate rows, they will be removed.

4. Can I remove rows from a two column list without altering the original list?

Yes, you can use the setdiff() function to remove rows from a two column list without altering the original list. This function returns a new list with the specified rows removed, leaving the original list unchanged.

5. Is there a way to undo the removal of rows from a two column list in MATLAB?

No, once you have removed rows from a two column list in MATLAB, there is no way to undo it. It is important to double check your code and make sure you are removing the correct rows before executing it.